travis_s
Here's my dillema. I'm in the process of building a demo vehicle and I want to run some high powered amps and I can't seem to find any viable information stating whether or not its better to run 1 big amp or 2 smaller amps to equal same power. I was looking into either 2 of the Stetsom 9k2d's, 2 Sd8000's, or a single SD16k. I will be running 4-6 12's in a 6th order bandpass and I have tripple alternators.

And to top it off, Stetsom has offered better prices than SD. So thats another contribution to the situation I'm in.

So to sum it up, in a daily/musical app. Is a big single amp better than 2 smaller amps or vice versa? And what would you go with since prices are different from eachother?

Any info would help. Thanks.
Quote 0 0
davor-ri
hm...two smaller amps is more easy to sell in compare to one big...if one small is broken U alway have 2nd one...if big one is broken..U got nothing....bad side is...2 smaller needs more place, more wires to connect...I will take 2 smaller...
Quote 0 0
kraven moorehead
easier to tune with one amp, but like davor ri said if something fails then you are out, I use one amp to play music and have another one in there for burp. that way i will always have music on the way home and the power to burp when i need it.
Quote 0 0
travis_s
ya, it seems to be the more logical way to go with 2 smaller amps for a musical setup. Also not to mention probably easier to sell if I ever need to upgrade.

I'm kinda leaning towards the 6k2d. So I might try out 2 of them.
Quote 0 0
Old/School
They both are nice amps and make there power but do some reserch before jumping into somthing. talk with the guys that run them. Wave the pros and con`s.

Also look int the catus amps i have been hering good things as well. also Banda sounds good as well and im sure they can be bought as well.
Quote 0 0
Bernie Madoff
Not enough info on Banda, just spectacular claims.
Quote 0 0
kraven moorehead
when i used them they were bad ass for what they were. on 1 2nd we ran 8-10's and dude it drove those dd subs! so we did two and it made ya not wanna be in there....I think currently repairs would have to be sent to Brazil unless they have secured a repair facility here or send someone like SD did. Strong amp though....
Quote 0 0
PeteS
I feel more amps is better in the long run, however it does tend to cost more and takes more time to wire and tune. Bright side is if you blow 1 your not dead in the water. Smaller amps are also MUCH easyer to resell.

This is coming from some one that is running 8 amps, 1 would do the same thing. I also find that for demos people cant relate to monster amps. More smaller amps is easyer to comprehend.
Quote 0 0
Old/School
I like the one amp deal its harder to get loud with one then it is with many. and makes people think when your one is almost as loud as there many.
Quote 0 0
sub2weeker
i just bought one of the sd16ks, so i will let you know how good it is. i bought the one because it had a lifetime warrenty, and when running two amps you allways have that problem of one blowing and then your at half power and that sucks.
Quote 0 0
Master Yoda
I would run the two or more amp setup! it is a pain but there are more factors to it then that you also need to concider the effenciy of the amps at a higher ohm load they will pull less current then the larger amp and have a cleaner signal( less clipping) which mean that you should be able to runn the setup longer for demos and have the equipment last at longer! no need in buying or repairing one amp all the time you could wind up with more money in repairs then if you had just done the larger setup to start with?
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy