Master Yoda
Has any one done a direct swap going from 15" subs to 18" subs? I was wondering what kind of results anyone got stepping up in sub sizes with the same amout of power? Thanks for the info
Quote 0 0
john-hone
in our street max set up we went up .3 db.
Quote 0 0
Master Yoda
Quote:
Originally posted by john-hone:
in our street max set up we went up .3 db.
do you think that it would have been more of a gain if you had the extra battery power? my set up has 24 Kinetic 16 volt batteries?
Quote 0 0
Broken Silence - Johnny
Generally you need a larger enclosure to make a big gain from the switch.
Quote 0 0
john-hone
Quote:
Originally posted by Broken Silence - Johnny:
Generally you need a larger enclosure to make a big gain from the switch.
that is true. we had 22 cubs.
Quote 0 0
AudioAnonymous
I lost a db going from 4 15s to 4 18s.
Quote 0 0
team basket kase
I dropped .3 going 18's to 15's in my nowall astro. Gaining port area was the biggest reason there though.
Quote 0 0
Nightshade
What about in a single sub setup where there is extra room to accomidate an 18" woofer instead of a 15" sub? For example I have a single 15" in 3 cubes in my ZX3 doing over a 153 on the dash at 52hz and a bit under 6K watts. I have the room for an 18 in a bit larger box, say 3.5-4 cubes just to size it up a bit since the 18 should like a bit larger enclosure. Do any of you think that I will see an increase with an 18 over a 15 in my particular setup? What if I just cut the hole bigger in the 15 box and dropped the 18 in 3 cubes, do you think it would be louder than the 15?

I know it's hard to say without doing it, but I just wondered if anyone has done something similar and had good results. I'm honestly thinking about keeping the same size box as the 15 has and rebuilding for 2 12's. I'm sure the 2 12's are probably the best way to go, but a single 18 would be cheaper than 2 12's, being my only reason for considering it.
Quote 0 0
murilo
18" are louder, if you consider similar motors (normally the motor will be the same), of course they will require bigger box, a normal gain is 1dB.
Quote 0 0
Master Yoda
Quote:
Originally posted by murilo@soundigital.com.br:
18" are louder, if you consider similar motors (normally the motor will be the same), of course they will require bigger box, a normal gain is 1dB.
Does that gain hold true even in 4th and 6th order boxes?

Murilo I am sure you have seen the build in the van I was thinking about stepping it up to two 18's in a 4th order for SSNW and I have over 36" behind the loading wall so I have the room and the batteryies to run two 18's I was wondering if it would be worth it or not to rebild the box to make it happen? I still have a long way to go to even be competive in the SSNW class and am thinking about every thing I should be doing to try to brake the 160+db mark. Thanks again for your thoughts
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy