Wayne Harris Show full post »
Flex Issues Kyle
Because of the shape of california, finals has been a 10+ hr drive for San Diego area guys the last 2 years. Anything from surrounding states was pretty much at least that as well... I know some of the Canadians have rugged drives due to how damn big Canada is. 

The headache is probably worth the tradeoff tbh. I just chose Kansas City on google maps, that is still a 3400 mile round trip for me. 
Quote 0 0
Brandon Rosser
Kyle Eberle wrote:
Kentucky location needs to hold people to a set amount of time to stage in lanes.  Not hold the lanes up 30 mins for people. 

I would also suggest getting the whole building on a single pa system to call competitors to the lanes.  

In 2016 the building was on a whole PA system, i remember this because the PA equipment was in my pit stall in the arena.  I wanna say that there was an issue with the SQ hall getting bombarded by constant updates from the SPL lanes.  I know that if this was only used to call those competitors to the lanes that were late for Finals rounds it shouldn't be an issue. I know that during staging for Bass Boxing final rounds this would make things much easier. 
Quote 0 0
Brandon Rosser
Because of the shape of california, finals has been a 10+ hr drive for San Diego area guys the last 2 years. Anything from surrounding states was pretty much at least that as well... I know some of the Canadians have rugged drives due to how damn big Canada is. 

The headache is probably worth the tradeoff tbh. I just chose Kansas City on google maps, that is still a 3400 mile round trip for me. 

Sadly to limit the amount of finals locations to as few as possible, it would most likely need to be one location on West Coast and one location on East Coast  Louisville is still very centered for East Coast competitors, the only issues is figuring out a location that could work for the West Coast. I looked earlier, even if it was up near Seattle that would be a long drive for everyone.  Plus you have the concern of competitors that don't wanna cross the border.
Quote 0 0
Flex Issues Kyle
i think at this point, 3 venues is probably still ideal. Honestly my main 2 complaints were the connectivity, which seems narrowed down to poor connection in California. This should be an easy fix. And I feel Top Dog is too redundant and time consuming. I propose that becomes Louisville locally and Canada vs West Coast.
Quote 0 0
DubaR
1. Use the magnum as intended for bassrace (4 mic's at a time).
Or
2. Set up a 2nd booth for bassrace/top dog locally that's dedicated to the 2 formats
Or
3. Use the 3x top dog/bassrace to achieve say 1 to 3 qualifiers per location depending on participation at each location that move forward to the actual finals round and as to a full 8 bracket in finals it could be 4 or 6 participants Only.

Connectivity issue can be resolved to the location must have a hardline internet connection. I'm assuming that the issue was using a hotspot/poor service.
Quote 0 0
Brandon Rosser
DubaR wrote:
1. Use the magnum as intended for bassrace (4 mic's at a time).
Or
2. Set up a 2nd booth for bassrace/top dog locally that's dedicated to the 2 formats
Or
3. Use the 3x top dog/bassrace to achieve say 1 to 3 qualifiers per location depending on participation at each location that move forward to the actual finals round and as to a full 8 bracket in finals it could be 4 or 6 participants Only.

Connectivity issue can be resolved to the location must have a hardline internet connection. I'm assuming that the issue was using a hotspot/poor service.

1. not sure where you’re from but I can only imagine running 4 bass race lanes. People’s computers now are sometimes lagging when running bass race with two competitors. Not only that but having a monitor large enough that all 4 could be seen easily without the outside having horrible angles. Also mic cables are 25ft. Sometimes that’s barely big enough with two cars. I’ve personally ran 4 cars at once for 5min music death matches. And if all four are perfectly spaced and the middle two are centered. The outside always get glare. If u put one car right in the middle the two on each side can see but the fourth car is gonna be blind start. 

2. Louisville finals 2018 seemed good. The lanes were closed for qualifying rather early on Saturday. We were waiting around for a while for California/Canada to finish up. Think the bigger issue here is having the locations that start after others, really push to get qualifying done ASAP for bass race and db Drag. Psychlone doesn’t have any head to head runs so that can be done whenever. But should still be done before everyone leaves Saturday evening. That way Sunday morning the scores can be posted. Top Dog needs to be done earlier. I’m sick of waiting around till midnight EST because of Top Dog. I said it before. With California and Canada being 2-3 hours behind Kentucky we can’t even start eliminations till noon on Sunday. I’d Top Dog was kept location specific, it could be done first thing Sunday morning in KY. Then when Cali and Canada come on line eliminations could start. I know that KY lanes had a decent amount of dead time while waiting for qualifying to finish or to even start in other locations. 

3. The 3x is for the next years points. Why would we use the 2020 innagural 3x scores to qualify those for the 4x in 2019. 
Quote 0 0
Wayne Harris
DubaR,

Thanks for your input. As you have noted, the Magnum can be used for qualifying 4 contestants at a time. And, we have certified the system to work with cables up to 50 feet in length. For us, the challenge is space and staging. It is really tight in the arena and that makes it hard to stage the vehicles. I believe we will stick with the same qualifying strategy we are currently using. I believe Top Dog will be treated as a regional event (instead of internet).

Thanks again for your comments.
Keep it Loud! Make me Proud!
[1396a0]
Quote 0 0
DubaR

Brandon I'm from Idaho we only know about potatoes up here, I have been to cali finals I know what goes on there one day I would love to make it to a east coast finals. I was giving input based off what I've seen and input from this thread. I've also been to shows where 4 lanes was ran for bassrace. I've personally built a seamless dedicated termpro computer for myself that you would love I can run multiple screens and when I say multiples I mean as many as I really want stand alone & mirrored i usually do 4, 2 for lanes 1 for me and 1 for standings at my 1x shows I also have custom built working cables that are 50 & 75 feet long I use the 50 footers for clamping and the 25 for meter my 75 foot are for my personal use they run from the front of my garage down the side and out into my driveway for practice at my house. The biggest issue with the programing of termpro is it is 32 not 64 so it only allows the use of 2gb ram it is multi core for processor which is good but there is ways to over come the laggyness most judges that I've talked to or seen at shows (west coast) think big ram is the answer it's not ram is bound to programming nothing can be done about it on our end.
Quote 0 0
DubaR
And, we have certified the system to work with cables up to 50 feet in length.

You are welcome. I have successfully used 75 foot cables 🙂
Quote 0 0
Wayne Harris
DubaR,

Thanks for your input. As you have noted, the Magnum can be used for qualifying 4 contestants at a time. And, we have certified the system to work with cables up to 50 feet in length. For us, the challenge is space and staging. It is really tight in the arena and that makes it hard to stage the vehicles. I believe we will stick with the same qualifying strategy we are currently using. I believe Top Dog will be treated as a regional event (instead of internet).

Keep it Loud! Make me Proud!
[1396a0]
Quote 0 0
Brandon Rosser
DubaR wrote:

Brandon I'm from Idaho we only know about potatoes up here, I have been to cali finals I know what goes on there one day I would love to make it to a east coast finals. I was giving input based off what I've seen and input from this thread. I've also been to shows where 4 lanes was ran for bassrace. I've personally built a seamless dedicated termpro computer for myself that you would love I can run multiple screens and when I say multiples I mean as many as I really want stand alone & mirrored i usually do 4, 2 for lanes 1 for me and 1 for standings at my 1x shows I also have custom built working cables that are 50 & 75 feet long I use the 50 footers for clamping and the 25 for meter my 75 foot are for my personal use they run from the front of my garage down the side and out into my driveway for practice at my house. The biggest issue with the programing of termpro is it is 32 not 64 so it only allows the use of 2gb ram it is multi core for processor which is good but there is ways to over come the laggyness most judges that I've talked to or seen at shows (west coast) think big ram is the answer it's not ram is bound to programming nothing can be done about it on our end.

As you stated you've only seen Cali finals.  In Louisville this year i think all qualifying was done before 2pm Saturday it might have even been done before.  Louisville had about 50-60% of the total competitors, with Cali and Canada splitting the other 40-50% fairly equal.  If Louisville can get them done by that time, the other locations shouldn't have an issue getting them done at the same time or even earlier.  This would almost eliminate the issue of the time difference, and is very much a reasonable objective. 

I also have a newer laptop that I bought Fall of 2017.  its actually a gaming laptop with a separate video card.  I have no issue running termlab with 3 or 4 sensors hooked up. It reacts the same today as it did the day i bought it which is great. The point that i was hitting at is some people use an older laptop, Ive personally been to a show where the 30second bass race runs were taking 50+ seconds.  This was not found out till afterwards when i was watching the video my wife had of my runs.  Before that individual hosted his next show he got a new laptop which fixed the issues.
Quote 0 0
DubaR

As you stated you've only seen Cali finals.  In Louisville this year i think all qualifying was done before 2pm Saturday it might have even been done before.  Louisville had about 50-60% of the total competitors, with Cali and Canada splitting the other 40-50% fairly equal.  If Louisville can get them done by that time, the other locations shouldn't have an issue getting them done at the same time or even earlier.  This would almost eliminate the issue of the time difference, and is very much a reasonable objective. 

I also have a newer laptop that I bought Fall of 2017.  its actually a gaming laptop with a separate video card.  I have no issue running termlab with 3 or 4 sensors hooked up. It reacts the same today as it did the day i bought it which is great. The point that i was hitting at is some people use an older laptop, Ive personally been to a show where the 30second bass race runs were taking 50+ seconds.  This was not found out till afterwards when i was watching the video my wife had of my runs.  Before that individual hosted his next show he got a new laptop which fixed the issues.

A lot of the down time I seen from our side was waiting on other locations as well (not qualifying) we would sit and wait for other rounds to be completed in order to do our on deck run. I agree qualify should be much faster in cali when the event was at the chassis works in sac there is more then enough room to run 4 meters or a 2nd set up for different formats and top dog/psyclone was done that way in 15 final in cali. 

I ditched the laptop idea and built a thin client its actually a shorter length  & width then my laptop was except double the thickness. 1 for heat issues and 2 more control of hardware connections mainly usb 3 and hdmi. 
I have 2 hdmi out (or 1hdmi 1vga) 
I use these 2 hdmi outs for my main screen on 1 and the 2nd into a 4way hdmi splitter for the 2 lanes screen (can do 4) for a mirror image From there I have 4 USB 3.0 on the PC it self where I have a usb 3.0 powered 7 port hub on 1 with 4 video adapters usb to hdmi ("plugable" brand they work unlike others) that provide 4 more standalone screen capabilities. With the "plugable" usb 3.0 and video adapters you can literally wire up 100 screens, they use processor resources so build the computer accordingly but I do my setup on a I5 Pentium with 8gb of ram if the laptop you use has a mechanical harddrive ditch it for a SSD I can get the ready set go to damn near match up and I can run back to back seamlessly I can cold boot and open termlab into play mode under 1min time frame.
Quote 0 0
Brandon Rosser
DubaR wrote:

A lot of the down time I seen from our side was waiting on other locations as well (not qualifying) we would sit and wait for other rounds to be completed in order to do our on deck run. I agree qualify should be much faster in cali when the event was at the chassis works in sac there is more then enough room to run 4 meters or a 2nd set up for different formats and top dog/psyclone was done that way in 15 final in cali. 

I ditched the laptop idea and built a thin client its actually a shorter length  & width then my laptop was except double the thickness. 1 for heat issues and 2 more control of hardware connections mainly usb 3 and hdmi. 
I have 2 hdmi out (or 1hdmi 1vga) 
I use these 2 hdmi outs for my main screen on 1 and the 2nd into a 4way hdmi splitter for the 2 lanes screen (can do 4) for a mirror image From there I have 4 USB 3.0 on the PC it self where I have a usb 3.0 powered 7 port hub on 1 with 4 video adapters usb to hdmi ("plugable" brand they work unlike others) that provide 4 more standalone screen capabilities. With the "plugable" usb 3.0 and video adapters you can literally wire up 100 screens, they use processor resources so build the computer accordingly but I do my setup on a I5 Pentium with 8gb of ram if the laptop you use has a mechanical harddrive ditch it for a SSD I can get the ready set go to damn near match up and I can run back to back seamlessly I can cold boot and open termlab into play mode under 1min time frame.

ya I have an i7. Think 8gb of Ram can be upgraded to 16gb. I actually have a 128gb SSD and a 1tb mech drive. It runs termlab beautifully. I don’t like desktop models due to the issue of power is loss at an event. I have a powered USB splitter and a powered HDMI splitter. But haven’t needed to use them. I bring a 50” TV with me and it seems to work nicely. 
Quote 0 0
DubaR

ya I have an i7. Think 8gb of Ram can be upgraded to 16gb. I actually have a 128gb SSD and a 1tb mech drive. It runs termlab beautifully. I don’t like desktop models due to the issue of power is loss at an event. I have a powered USB splitter and a powered HDMI splitter. But haven’t needed to use them. I bring a 50” TV with me and it seems to work nicely. 

I have a battery backup and pack a DC to ac converter. 50" is to big for my car I use 2 40" per lane a 32" for standings then a 24" for main. I do one of my shows solely off a genarater.
Quote 0 0
Flex Issues Kyle
So whats the deal with the non-unified finals?
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy