youthman
Currently, I'm using an MTX Thunder 240 (200w bridged x 2) with a JL Audio 8w0 SVC sub (75w rms, 150 peak). I have installed Polk db571 5x7 Coax in the front doors and factory 5x7 in the rear doors.

I want to move the Polk db571's to the back doors and install a pair of Polk MMC6500 Components in the front doors or in kick panels.

My thought is to sell the MTX and buy a 4 channel amp. I would bridge 2 channels for the sub and use the other two channels to power the components.

I have a few questions:

1. All the speakers are 4ohm. The sub in bridge mono would yield a 4 ohm load. When I hook up the components to the two channels (one component for each channel), since there are two 4ohm speakers (woofer and tweeter), does the amp see those as a 2ohm load or still a 4 ohm load?

2. Any budget amps less than $100 that you would recommend? I don't mind used, even using "old school" amps.

Some amps I have looked at locally are:

Soundstream Rubicon RUB4.500 (75x4 @ 4ohm, 125x4 @ 2ohm, 250x2 bridged mono) - $80

Eclipse AE4000 (75x4 @ 4ohm, no specs for 2ohm, 150w bridged mono)
- $100 firm

Kicker ZX350.4 (60x4 @ 4ohm, 90x4 @ 2ohm, 175x2 bridged mono) - $80 - $100

Would you recommend any of these and why?

Am I headed the right direction in my thinking of going with a 4 channel amp?
Quote 0 0
youthman
FYI, the sub is in the factory enclosure and I'm not trying to have a system that pounds, just something that has a well balanced sound and sounds clean.
Quote 0 0
youthman
I posted a WTB ad and a guy just emailed me about a Kicker KX700.5. Here are the specs - Link

How would I need to hook it up to get 75w to each door speaker and maybe 200 watts to the sub?
Quote 0 0
youthman
He's asking $80. Looking online, they are selling for MUCH more than that.
Quote 0 0
youthman
If this deal is for real, I think I would be interested in the Kicker KX700.5. I could bridge two channels for the left door component speakers, bridge two channels for the right door component speakers and bridge the sub channels for the sub.

What do you think?
Quote 0 0
youthman
I have another question. When you hook up the components, does the amp see a 4ohm load or a 2ohm load since there are two speakers? My guess is somehow 4ohm...just don't know why.
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
Most likely the amp is going to see a 4ohm load. The amp will see the crossover which are quite often designed as a 4ohm utility
Quote 0 0
youthman
That's what I was thinking it would see but wanted to check since this amp can only handle 4 ohm load in "Amp1" and "Amp2" when bridged. The subwoofer channels can handle 2ohm load.

So if I bridged the first two channels "Amp1" and went to the left door components, the amp would see a 4ohm load for Amp1, then 4ohm load for "Amp2" and a 4 ohm load for the sub channels unless I added another sub in parallel or bought a dual voice coil sub and wired it in parallel.

I believe I have a much better understanding of ohms now. Thanks for your advice and explanations.
Quote 0 0
youthman
Is the Kicker KX 700.5 a good amp?
Quote 0 0
Jerry and his 2012 Mazda 5
I have 2 Kicker 350.4's and I am well pleased with them. As for the 700.5, I couldn't say. I do have plenty of experience with Kickers amps. As you stated in a previous post, the 350.4 can be bridged into 175wrms x 2....and although Kicker claims it is stable at 4ohms that way, I have used some speaker confiq's that yielded 2.66 and 3 ohms, and the Kickers played them in bridged mode. My biggest complaint with Kicker amps is in the crossover section and the bass boost portion, but now I just run Clifford Design crossover and the amps in full range mode. The Cliff allows me to boost upto 18db in a selectable frequency and the crossover has a larger filter adjustment and a subsonic filter as well. I hope this helped.
Quote 0 0
ShadowStar
The five channel amp will be sufficient power and flexibility for your system. I would give it a go.
Quote 0 0
youthman
Thx Jerry. I know my current JL 8w0 couldn't handle an 18db bass boost LOL.

Shadow, I did end up purchasing the Kicker KX 700.5 amp and have it installed. It sounds great so far. I have the Amp1 powering the Polk db571's and the sub powering the JL 8w0.

I plan on moving the db571's to the back doors and installing the Polk MMC6500 components in front.

I purchased a JL Stealthbox with a 10" Memphis sub installed from a guy on Craigslist in another state. It arrives today.

I definitely think the Kicker amp will work great for what I'm looking for. I had NO idea it was that big though.
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy