louisvilleboy
Can someone tell me which one would be alot louder and tell me why. So I can have some understanding.

Say for example 4 12" vs.1 18" same brand lets say MTX 9500. (I know they dont make an 18" but for the example) with the same total power rating (4 12" total 4000watts and 1 18" total 4000watts).Both boxes for the 2 setups would have the same tuning frequency for peak performance and the same size box 10cu ea. same car using a wall.

If everything was equally matched would one still be louder than the other?
Is going bigger better over quantity?
Quote 0 0
mandos
In strict displacement, the 4 12's will stop the 18. 144*pi sq. in. of cone vs. 81*pi sq. in. of cone...now, 2 12's vs. 1 18, the 18 wins...but any more 12's and you're just stomping it in surface area.

Also, the 12's will have less power compression since it's only 1000 watts each instead of 4kW to 1.
Quote 0 0
reaper68
Well If you take normal 12's (12w6v2 at 16.5mm one way linear) V somthing like my 4hp that will throw 52mm one way (ok not exactly fair since its out side of linear which is around 30+ ) then the cone area is made up in displacement. Cone area isn't the end all its the volume it can displace also look out for possible cancellation issues and group delay. Typically the lowest amount of drivers in a system the better. Mandos is right if you are running into power compression the 12's would be better. What it really comes down to is simply what you want to do.
Quote 0 0
louisvilleboy
Okay I think I understand now. Its the more surface area of the subs that will win it at equal power.

Okay say the 4 12" played at 4000 watts and the 1 18" power was doubled at 8000 watts.

With the same setup would the 4 12" win with more surface area or will the 1 18" win with less surface area but more power at 8000 watts?

Thanks
Quote 0 0
louisvilleboy
Quote:
Originally posted by reaper68:
Well If you take normal 12's (12w6v2 at 16.5mm one way linear) V somthing like my 4hp that will throw 52mm one way (ok not exactly fair since its out side of linear which is around 30+ ) then the cone area is made up in displacement. Cone area isn't the end all its the volume it can displace also look out for possible cancellation issues and group delay. Typically the lowest amount of drivers in a system the better. Mandos is right if you are running into power compression the 12's would be better. What it really comes down to is simply what you want to do.
I was thinking of adding one more 12 but that limits my power options but if I ditch the 12s and go with 1 18 it gives me lots of options what Im looking at for real is 4 12s and giving it 4000 watts or 1 18 and giving it 4000 watts with the option to upgrade and strap a amp for a total of 8000 watts.

Im thinking of adding one more 12 for a total of 4 or ditching the 3 I have for 3 better ones or going with one 18.
Quote 0 0
mandos
Quote:
Originally posted by reaper68:
Ahhh yes...damn excursion.

You're right...if you did have double excursion on the 18, it wins....I forget that whole...huge basket move farther thing
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy