rival904
Currently got a box built for 4 15s,

2 cu.ft sealed per sub
6cu.ft ported per sub(after displacements.

Port is only 8.75 tall, and 46.50 wide(internal) and tuned to 45hz.

I am considering rebaffling for 4 18s, the sealed chamber would stay the same, and the ported might shrink down to 5.75 per sub or so.

Would an 18 do well in that size of a box or should I just stick to 15s?

Subs will be either DD 3515s or DD 3518s.
Quote 0 0
Goldtaz1
Quote:
Originally posted by rival904:
Currently got a box built for 4 15s,

2 cu.ft sealed per sub
6cu.ft ported per sub(after displacements.

Port is only 8.75 tall, and 46.50 wide(internal) and tuned to 45hz.

I am considering rebaffling for 4 18s, the sealed chamber would stay the same, and the ported might shrink down to 5.75 per sub or so.

Would an 18 do well in that size of a box or should I just stick to 15s?

Subs will be either DD 3515s or DD 3518s.
I think it would be helpful if you stated what your objectives are; numbers or just street pounding. From the way it sounds you are a street beating kind of guy. If so, I have seen alot of the bandpass guru's recommending 2.5 cubes sealed for 18's and generally a 3:1 ratio on the ported section. That being the case you would go with 7.5 cubes per 18 on the ported section and absolutely as much port as you can muster. Probably something like 20-25 square inches of port per cube on the ported section tuned anywhere between 45 and 50 hz. By no means am I any kind of an expert so I am hoping some of the more experienced bandpass experts will chime in. If I were you, I would pop over to the FloridaSPL forums as there seems to be more information about 4th order builds on that site.
Quote 0 0
rival904
Yea I can only get like 17.9sqin of port.

I think I will just stick to the 15s...

I dont think the 18s will like this box to much, not to mention I cant make my port any bigger.

Also I am on FLSPL but this kinda a top secret build lol.
Quote 0 0
Goldtaz1
Quote:
Yea I can only get like 17.9sqin of port.

I think I will just stick to the 15s...

I dont think the 18s will like this box to much, not to mention I cant make my port any bigger.

Also I am on FLSPL but this kinda a top secret build lol.
Do you think you could add a couple more 15's or do you not have the room? In all honesty, the 18's would probably be ok in 2 cubes sealed 5.75 per sub ported as long as you compensated by throwing a little extra power at them. In a ideal world you could do more port, but since you don't seem to be a dummy you know as well as I know that much of car audio is about trial and error. You would probably lose some efficiency, but if the 18's were beastly enough and you compensated with additional power then it might not be so bad for the enclosure to not be AS efficient. Food for thought right? LOL!

Brandon
Quote 0 0
rival904
Eh.

I got a DD M4a for power right now(5400w @ 12v and 7k @ 14v).

I think I am going to stick with the 15s though.

Im just unsure of if I should make the sealed chamber a little bigger or not.

Its for a blowthrough in my truck, and I can go back like ~70in or so, but this box is only 49in deep.
Quote 0 0
teamriles
hey matt i could tell you what mine is but i would have to kill you lmao but i can tell you you port is the problem
Quote 0 0
audiobuffru1
4 seperate sealed boxes roughly 2.25 cft and around 15 cubs for front chamber to start with

weather it is 4- 15's or 4 -18's and far as port size and depth you have to play around with it to find sweet spot weather it is for spl or bassrace
Quote 0 0
Goldtaz1
Quote:
Eh.

I got a DD M4a for power right now(5400w @ 12v and 7k @ 14v).

I think I am going to stick with the 15s though.

Im just unsure of if I should make the sealed chamber a little bigger or not.

Its for a blowthrough in my truck, and I can go back like ~70in or so, but this box is only 49in deep.
I believe the 2 cubes per 15 you are running is fine unless you are looking for the system to be able to play lower frequencies than it currently does. Does it struggle to go low? Going with larger sealed chambers is going to help the system play lower. Is that what you are wanting out of it?
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy