tekk45
Any solutions? Alt is PWM by the PCM. How to get around this without an SES light.
Quote 0 0
LuckyT
Just add a voltage regulator of some kind going to the pcm to show it what it wants to see. i would just add it inline with the stock wiring. I just left the stock wiring in my GA to let the pcm control the voltage but the high output alt still puts out more amperage, not a good as a external regulator setup though.

Also do you know the work around for the daytime running lights or are you just planning on pulling the fuses?
Quote 0 0
18inchjeepin
does SX power have a vcm?
Quote 0 0
tekk45
Good question, Rob. I was thinking of having Akron Horsepower eliminate the alternator control from the PCM and associated DTC's.

Toby, the work around for the DRL's. I think you can either remove the DRL relay(make sure your headlights work after) or there are DRL eliminator modules. Partsforyourcar.com used to sell them.
Quote 0 0
18inchjeepin
I have the same problem so thats why I went with a 16v bank
Quote 0 0
MECHMAN
A 99 Grand am DOES NOT use a PCM integrated regulator. Just ply in an XS power VCM part number 310-313 and you will have in-dash voltage control at the touch of a button. You will not have any problems with check engine lights or anything else for that matter. We have them in stock for $129
Quote 0 0
tekk45
Correct. After being a GM tech for several years, I became so used to dealing with pulse width modulated alternators, I assumed my Grand Am had one as well. Looking at the schematic, it is clearly a simple charging system cicuit. This is excellent! Now I just need to know what can be done to the CS-130 to hop it up and what kind of amperage can be gotten out of it at 14-15.5 volts.
Quote 0 0
shocked mustang
Can u just simply set the parking brake to turn off the daytime running lamps?
Quote 0 0
tekk45
Yes, you can set th parking brake to turn off the DRL's but then the red "brake" light will be on. I pull my E-brake one click to kill the DRL's when pulling up to the lanes.
Quote 0 0
Aaron Bryant
sry to bring this back but i have a 2000 grand am and was wondering how to get the fctory alt to throw out full power all the time? i heard yu could ground one of the wires but was wondering if anybody else has heard of it?
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy