Exile son of Exodus
Is there any known way to cool an amp other than a fan? Is there a liquid cooled system that is practical. I figure cooler = more power so how can I get lots more efficiency? I am experimenting with running the ac vent to the amp somehow.
Quote 0 0
Mr Wiggles
there have been company's that had liquid cooled amps and subs. bazooka did. not sure if there is something u can make or do yourself.
Quote 0 0
skewtr
rule+ passive crossovers waste power, making them very inefficient, also limit the frequency spread of that amplifiers signal, row down the window, never even turn on stereo in summer time if cars been sittin in sun all day, wait until u have attempted to cool them down with fresh air, a/c. its an expensive mistake. everything has its limits, let your ear n commonsense be your guide, + dont crowd the amplifier, or burry, even a fan blowing across heatsink cooling fins aint a sure fix..... my 15 inch subs i crosss over at 30hz, 18db slope, my sp1010's i run at 100-1500hz, spread the spectrum out, spread the work load out
Quote 0 0
jarfunkz
Quote:
Originally posted by skewtr:
rule+ passive crossovers waste power, making them very inefficient, also limit the frequency spread of that amplifiers signal, row down the window, never even turn on stereo in summer time if cars been sittin in sun all day, wait until u have attempted to cool them down with fresh air, a/c. its an expensive mistake. everything has its limits, let your ear n commonsense be your guide, + dont crowd the amplifier, or burry, even a fan blowing across heatsink cooling fins aint a sure fix..... my 15 inch subs i crosss over at 30hz, 18db slope, my sp1010's i run at 100-1500hz, spread the spectrum out, spread the work load out
/rofl
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
Gobble Gobble. I'm a turkey
Quote 0 0
casperskafs
I know you ask if there is anything other than a fan but i'll tell ya I just put a fan over my MA Audio 800 watt class AB amp (which is known for overheating) and it is working great. I drive 2 hours to work and sometimes will bump my system all the way(will be def in a couple years)and my amp was getting hot enough to cook food on. I put a fan over it and put it to the test a couple days ago and the fan did an awesome job.
Quote 0 0
Bassphobia
Yes Bazooka did have a line of liquid-cooled amps and subs, except they kind of sucked and the extra cooling didn't make the sub louder, to my ears at least.

You can modify parts from the liquid cooling system used for PCs and attach the cooling block to the amplifier. I've thrown a small amp into a vat of vegetable oil before and it stayed cool and kept working.
Quote 0 0
jarfunkz
Quote:
Originally posted by casperskafs:
I know you ask if there is anything other than a fan but i'll tell ya I just put a fan over my MA Audio 800 watt class AB amp (which is known for overheating) and it is working great. I drive 2 hours to work and sometimes will bump my system all the way(will be def in a couple years)and my amp was getting hot enough to cook food on. I put a fan over it and put it to the test a couple days ago and the fan did an awesome job.
Why is a class a/b amp known for overheating again?
yes, a/b tends to have a larger heatsink than d class, but that is their design and they make a larger heatsink for them.

I am just questioning where you got your information. I personally don't like and would stop listening to that source.
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
a class A/B amp is just less efficient, power in to power output. anything that is an internal loss not due to magnetics is turned into heat.
a larger heatsink will help to some degree, but the ratio of heat release and practical and reliable circuits shouldn't be built beyond certain dimensions required.
Quote 0 0
casperskafs
No I'm not talking about class A/B Amps I'm talking about that amp spacifically. A MA Audio 800 watt amp Class Ab. On reviews I read about that amp people said it overheated alot. I read reviews before I buy sometimes. Sorry for the mix up
Quote 0 0
Andy Jones
Quote:
Originally posted by skewtr:
we are all dumber now from having read this.

30hz and down for 15's. Then 100-1500 for your "sp1010"?

Great idea. Fu ck midbass. It's overrated anyway.
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy