ben jamin
After what I watched happen yesterday at a 3x event I reread all the rules on amplifier size. If a class has a rule of 1000 watts limit like street stock a does and you have an argument about the amplifier being used how should it be settled?
We all know manufactures have different ways of listing the specs on an amp. There is peak watts and rms and there are other factors involved like what load an amp is wired to and box rise.
The whole point of limiting a class to 1000 watts is just a waste of time if we are going by manufactures specs now isn
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
I thought in street stock power was clamped at multipoint events...but I'm not 100% sure on where that debate ended up
Quote 0 0
ESP Challenge
It was determined that clamping amps would not be done this year because of the variance in measurements via different meters etc. Highest published rated rms would be used.

I new this would come up but it was an odd situation indeed. First off,the amp in question was in both vehicles in the class. Secondly, the research I had done in 2010 revealed that the amps in question were indeed legal based on the published rating at that time. I did not and can not look up every amp out there in the industry new and old. I will look up one on the spot when in question however. The situation we had was unique and dealt with the best way possible at that time.

Thanks
Quote 0 0
ESP Challenge
Quote:
Originally posted by D-Bass:
I thought in street stock power was clamped at multipoint events...but I'm not 100% sure on where that debate ended up
Power wasnt clamped at 2010 World Finals and hasnt been since
Quote 0 0
ben jamin
Quote:
Originally posted by ESP Challenge:
It was determined that clamping amps would not be done this year because of the variance in measurements via different meters etc. Highest published rated rms would be used.

I new this would come up but it was an odd situation indeed. First off,the amp in question was in both vehicles in the class. Secondly, the research I had done in 2010 revealed that the amps in question were indeed legal based on the published rating at that time. I did not and can not look up every amp out there in the industry new and old. I will look up one on the spot when in question however. The situation we had was unique and dealt with the best way possible at that time.

Thanks
I was happy with the way you handled everything but I don
Quote 0 0
Trafficjamz151
If the amp was legal at the begining of the season then it should be legal the whole season. If the rating are changed in the heart of the season then you should be able to run that amp the rest of the season then changed for the next season.
Quote 0 0
team unreal sounds
indeed this rule kinda sucks because of this whole situation it put the top two in the country on a goose chase to find a good enough amp to use and yet have we found anything that could produce the power we was getting out of the 100.1 i have alot of respect for all competitors and judges just dont like some of the rules that have to take affect mid season.
Quote 0 0
foodstamp
Quote:
Originally posted by ESP Challenge:
i understand how hard this grey area is, but why was rms used? the rule's clearly say MAX

Class Matrix Notes

Street Stock Division
No Competition-Grade Components
No Veterans or Pros
No Commercial Vehicles, Vans, CRX's, or Panda's (and Panda derivates such as Marbellas and Yugos)
Street Stock A
Quote 0 0
team unreal sounds
i have checked over and over on these rules i have always been the rulse mean rms so idk why the rules say max. this class is really grey in more than just a couple little miner things like every rule in this class has a grey shadow with it. no no competition grade components dont we compete so isnt all car audio competition components or no commercial vehicles my wife has a nissan sentra she uses for her cleaning business so i cant use it since its a commercial car. i try to compete by the rules but if a rule is changed mid season thats just some bull by all means.
Quote 0 0
foodstamp
i thought it was rms at first to. but if we are able to brake the max for wattage ratings can we do it for voltage? simple change

Street Stock A
Quote 0 0
casperskafs
Quote:
Originally posted by foodstamp:

a fuse rating would be more efficient
street stock A 100 amp's
street stock B 200 amp's
O man don't say that. That'll turn db drag into meca and I hate meca
Quote 0 0
AmmoJammo
it is RMS power, it always has been, and always will be.

its the maximum rms power allowed, hence "1000watts rms MAX"

"max" printed on car audio products doesn't mean anything, like headunits rated at 50watts per channel MAX.

I believe the rules state that its the highest RMS power, at the amplifiers lowest rated impedance, so if your amplifier is rated at 1200watts at 1ohm, but you're wired at 4ohm, tough, you're still in Street Stock B as a minimum.
Quote 0 0
AmmoJammo
Quote:
Originally posted by foodstamp:
i went to a 3x show this weekend and was told i cant run in street stock do to my box & amps being in the trunk still took 2nd in street b
pardon? where are they supposed to be then?
Quote 0 0
dB Drag Feldjaeger
Quote:
Originally posted by AmmoJammo:
it is RMS power, it always has been, and always will be.

its the maximum rms power allowed, hence "1000watts rms MAX"

"max" printed on car audio products doesn't mean anything, like headunits rated at 50watts per channel MAX.

I believe the rules state that its the highest RMS power, at the amplifiers lowest rated impedance, so if your amplifier is rated at 1200watts at 1ohm, but you're wired at 4ohm, tough, you're still in Street Stock B as a minimum.
This is absolutly correct.

Rule 2-5 RMS MAX
[37309a0]

RETIRED certified 4X Head Judge dB Drag Racing & Bass Race

dBDRA Staff Member/ Head Judge
World Finals Head Judge  &  European Finals Head Judge
     WF XI, XIII, XIV,                         EF '05, '12, '13

Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy