shaker9900
I need help finding somebody who can make a dual alt braket for 98 ford f150 4.6l v8 i have one ohio gen alt already but it puts out about 100a at idle i tried getting a smaller pulley but with no luck.
Quote 0 0
beatnbronco
not sure if the brackets are the same man but my smog pump hasn't been hooked up for 6 years on my 95 bronco so i removed it and installed a 2nd alternator in it's place. i just cut the small piece of bracket right below the belt tensioner that has the hole through it and used long bolts with spacers i bought at home depot to mount the 2nd alt. the alt and smog pump were the same depth and pullies lined right up
Quote 0 0
beatnbronco
still haven't figured out how to wire em up yet tho..would like to keep the 95 amp for regular electrical and the HO for audio only..can you help me out?? my alts have the 3 wire pigtails with external regulator on the back
Quote 0 0
ben jamin
Well there has been tons of info posted on this topic but no one ever sticks it so that it can be used.
The best and the easiest way to run two alts is to use one for the car or truck and one for the audio batteries. There are several reasons for why this is the best and also why it is the easiest.
The three wire alts have one wire that goes through the ignition and a little light bulb in your dash. That wire is called the exciter wire and the small amount of resistance that the light bulb gives the circuit is what makes the alternator function.
If you leave the factory alt alone and add a second alt with whatever brackets you choose to use then you only have that one wire to deal with (exciter wire) and of course the power wire to your audio batteries from the second alt.
When you add an alt as a separate charger for your audio use you will need.
Keyed power.
A small 12 volt light bulb.
Some brackets. I make my own.
A different length belt to make sure you get a good tight fit.
Run the keyed power through the light bulb to the exciter wire ( one of the three small wires in the alt harness) and you have a good working second alt with a light to let you know if something is wrong. You will need to know which wire is the exciter on the alt you are using which means asking or googeling a little but that’s the easiest part of the job.
For a good belt length run a string around the pulleys when your done include the tensioner position into your measurement mark the string and go get a belt that length.

I have wired two and three alts up to one battery bank also and in doing so I have discovered some the problems with that method.
At low demand times when you really just need one alt to be running what happens?
Some of the problems ive seen are one or more of the extra alts getting hot. This seems to be more the diodes being over worked but I don’t know for sure. I have also noted diminished power output from alts that are wired up together.
I have never spent the time to figure out why multiple as one charger causes so many problems because it works out better for me to and easier to run them separate.
I am currently running three alts under the hood of an econoline 150 van for daily use.
Two alts is the limit for SSNW which is what I do with the van and so I have one alt that I take out sometimes to compete by the rules. I have 13 batteries at the moment one for the van and two banks of six for the subs.
I know I left out some things and there is some stuff about alts that I don’t know but if you have any questions let me know and I will try to answer if I can.
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy