PeteS
Given this is talking about scores at a Db Drag shows and many of the people I'm looking for will only look in this section I am posting this thread here.

I'm looking for info on who has done what numbers in a Astro van. The ONLY type of builds I could care less about are full out extreme builds.

I'm looking for input on the 160+ numbers that have been done UNDER 45Hz and ONLY done is Astro vans. I have spoken to a few people and just end up with more questions. What seems to be the low freq breaking point on these vans ? I have talked to a few people and 163Db Db Drag legal is as high as I have heard of or seen. Who did I miss ?

I'm sure since the change from the mic to the sensor that there must be more then 3 or 4 Astro vans that have played in this area but I cant seem to track down a list of people. I'm sure that over the years some one has maxxed the cabin on one of these vans.

I know Steve Cook had the loudest astro van but the freq is a long ways from what I'm looking for info on.

PLEASE HELP
Quote 0 0
Neill Barber
My blue van did a 168.1 on the old mic and a 163.4-6 on the sensor at 42hz in 2002-3.

NeillBarber
Quote 0 0
PeteS
Realy I dont see any thing on your stats page for 2003.

What was the front cabin like ? What type of issue did you have on the doors ?
Quote 0 0
Neill Barber
NO door issues. Cabin was stock for SS5+.

NeillBArber
Quote 0 0
AudioAnonymous
Any loud Astrovan is gonna have door and firewall problems (that isn't extreme)

wait till your firewall rips and you bust your brake lines.
Quote 0 0
PeteS
Did that at finals last year

What I'm looking for is people that has taken astro vans past the 163 mark in the 40hzish range and wanting to know what type of things they used to hold there cabin together. Granted a burp is far less destructive then say bass race but I'm sure the same type of things would help.

I have looked all over and talked to a few diffrent people and they all seem to point that around the 163 mark is where they come apart at lower freq. I'm looking for people to tell me it's not so or that more then 1 person has done this.
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
Eric Alexander's van with all the amps would do around a 162-164 in the low-mid 40Hz. The roof does have a single layer of MDF, but there's no other bracing. just a layer of Second Skin in the doors. Metal ripping has been an on-going issue
Quote 0 0
murilo
This is what I'm doing... currently 160.3 at 46Hz with a bit over 12kW.

Quote 0 0
PeteS
Quote:
Originally posted by D-Bass:
Eric Alexander's van with all the amps would do around a 162-164 in the low-mid 40Hz. The roof does have a single layer of MDF, but there's no other bracing. just a layer of Second Skin in the doors. Metal ripping has been an on-going issue
Eric was one of the first people I called. We had a good chat that ended up leaving more questions unanswered. Myself, Eric and Steve Mick all seem to be sitting around the same freq and Db Drag score. 2 of us have 4th orders 1 has a 6th order so encloser design as a limiting factor is probley not the case. There is a very big diffrence in the amount of gear being used. I have the least amount of cone area and Eric has the largest amount of cone area.

There has to be somthing that one of us has overlooked or missed. I have gotten word of a number of astro vans into the mid 164-165's but none were below 50hz. I'm starting to wonder if a 40hz note is simply to low.
Quote 0 0
Neill Barber
Quote:
Originally posted by AudioAnonymous:

This is a current problem with the Blazer.

Maybe the Band pass is the issue. I did not have a band pass in my Astro.

The low note will be a limiting factor to some extent.

My enclosure was unusually deep. MIght have had an effect. Total enclosure was just over 75cuft if I recall correctly. Maybe a little larger.

NeillBArber
Quote 0 0
CookieMonster
Very interesting topic Pete. I have an Astro that I am looking to build so I'm curious myself.

Would also like to ask about the difference in model years too.

Mine is a '96. Most have the older body style.
How does that affect the system as well?
Quote 0 0
Wanna-B-Basshead
Quote:
Originally posted by PeteS:
Realy I dont see any thing on your stats page for 2003.

What was the front cabin like ? What type of issue did you have on the doors ?
hes the longest running member in DB Drag...
Quote 0 0
AudioAnonymous
Quote:
Originally posted by Neill Barber:
Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AudioAnonymous:

This is a current problem with the Blazer.

Maybe the Band pass is the issue. I did not have a band pass in my Astro.

The low note will be a limiting factor to some extent.

My enclosure was unusually deep. MIght have had an effect. Total enclosure was just over 75cuft if I recall correctly. Maybe a little larger.

NeillBArber
i don't think it's whether or not it's a bandpass because my passenger side door has a hairline crack and the firewall is ripped near the brake cylinder. My rear brakes lines were also broken in 2007 and my vehicle was only in SM3-4.
Quote 0 0
PeteS
Well we seem to be on to a few common issues, how have people correct these issue's and what affect did it have on your SPL ?

Maybe Steve Mick can chime in on this as he has the newer body style astro van. I know he has door issus's as well but I don;t know if he has had other problems.

Looks like this may be a common problem with the astro van and Db Drag. I think if we keep working at this there might be a cure some where.
Quote 0 0
tommyk90
Quote:
Originally posted by PeteS:
Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by D-Bass:
Eric was one of the first people I called. We had a good chat that ended up leaving more questions unanswered. Myself, Eric and Steve Mick all seem to be sitting around the same freq and Db Drag score. 2 of us have 4th orders 1 has a 6th order so encloser design as a limiting factor is probley not the case. There is a very big diffrence in the amount of gear being used. I have the least amount of cone area and Eric has the largest amount of cone area.

There has to be somthing that one of us has overlooked or missed. I have gotten word of a number of astro vans into the mid 164-165's but none were below 50hz. I'm starting to wonder if a 40hz note is simply to low.
Actually, steve mick has the most cone area.

8 18's=2034
24 10's=1884

Regardless though, the low frequencies at such a high level are going to destroy ANY vehicle, unless drastic modifications are going to be made.

I think it depends greatly on the design as well. Since your design focuses all the pressure on the passenger side, obviously you are going to fatigue that side more. Plus the overall loudness is going to mess everything up.

The only astro I've seen that really didn't tear up body panels too much was hanks (2000lade) astro. Would do a 162+ in the low 40 hz range and the windshield didn't budge. The top of the doors moved some, but that was it. The roof was MDF, but there was nothing done to the doors.

I think the main reason for that was that his design focused pressure across the entire cabin versus on one side like yours.
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy