audioangel
hey guys i have a problem when i strap my 2 atomic 5000's and burp at .9 ohm on a 16v system.
one amp keeps tripping everytime i burp regardless of which one is master or slave. the same amp keeps tripping (protection light comes on) the other amp remains on. when i burp each amp indivdually at 1 ohm, they work perfectly. i'm not sure if the amp has a problem because i had the same setup on a 12v system with no worries.
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
when you run them individually at 1ohm, they each are running at 1ohm.

when you run them strapped at 0.9ohm, they are each running at 0.45ohm. drawing more than twice the current.

you are challenging the amps quite a bit. Now run it at 16v, and you're really running all the internal components at maximum.
Quote 0 0
audioangel
i understand this but how come only one amp trips and the other does not. can one handle more strain than the other?

i've read about ppl burping these amps at .35 and .5 strapped with no problems and yes on 16v. i am running 6 xs powermaster d1000's so i dont think it's a current problem.

as well box rise goes up to 2.5 ohm
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
have you tried rolling the volume up, instead of just unpausing it?
Quote 0 0
audioangel
yes i always do roll ups. i even tried direct burps too. same thing!

this 16v thing is kinda new to me. can u tell me if by using a 12v remote turn on lead, if it would be a problem or should i use 16v remote?

also i am using an older model alpine headunit. its the 9827 which has 4volt preout but i realise that the deck maxes out at vol 10-12 with less than 2v preout. i tried to gain it up by using an audiocontrol eqs as a direct line drive after the deck. when i say it maxes out i mean u actually hear a drop in volume after i pass vol 10 or 12 while doing a roll up.

im also wondering if my subs have anything to do with the amp tripping. its 5 DD1508 single 4ohm subs wired to .9ohm

all 5 were repaired already with new kits but 3 of them were damaged after and i tried some cheap spiders to repair them. but they gave out after a couple burps. so now there is only 2 fully functional ones. i was fed up of buying recone kits since the spiders easily tear away from the cone and coil. and DD says they dont sell spiders seperately. they said i have to send them in to repair. which is outta the question for me because i live in the caribbean and cost of shipping would be a bitch.

all i need are a couple good spiders and i can make these subs indestructible. lol
Quote 0 0
AudioAnonymous
Try turning the gains DOWN once.

One thing I have always done is test with the gains turned all the way DOWN. Then turn it up one click at a time. Going from no gain to 1/4 or half gain (and higher)is just asking for trouble imo. I know in my SM van my gains were 4-5 clicks from the minimum where my other vehicles were completely different. It's just something you have to test.
Quote 0 0
AudioAnonymous
Also roll ups vs. full volume burps....some amps like one way, some like the other, another thing to test.
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
2kW on a 1500 series DD is way too much. no wonder you're blowing subs.
also, wiring five 4ohm woofers in parallel is 0.8, not 0.9. Also, the subs probably aren't actually 4ohm, they are probably about 3.6ish. so you're probably really starting around 0.7ohm

I agree with Geoff, turn your gains down.
Quote 0 0
audioangel
all 5 measure .9 on my multimeter. strange thing is that the coils never burn, its just the spider getting loose from the coil/cone.

i tried the gains turned all the way down and i tested going up one click at a time. its set at almost quarter mark. i even tried gain matching properly. i also do a slowww roll up. i tried lots of things but all with the same result. i may end up buying a single 18" sub with dual 1ohm coils and just run one amp to each coil.

im thinking about an 18" tsns or a 18" treo cxt.
any reviews on these? which one do u think will be more beneficial?
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
i would look at different subs. Something you can easily get recones for if you ever needed it. DC Audio Level 5's would be at least as good and parts will be readily available.

What does your meter read when you just connect the leads together? make sure you're subtracting that reading from what it shows when connected to the woofers.
Quote 0 0
loud tercell
Dont know much about these amps but when we run our Ab500.1 we only use 12v on remote 16v takes the amps out proven. So run the amps at 16v but try remote on 12v if you have not done so already.
Quote 0 0
nicawatts
one trips cause when strapped only the master amps controls are being used
Quote 0 0
ssluke
if you cant solve the problom why not just run 1 amp per woofer , or 1 amp per coil ?

agreed with donald get woofers that u can easly recone
Quote 0 0
odog
i use 16volt remote wire but i havent tried to strap my 2 5000.1s yet i will be doing within the next month if everything else holds up
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy