Team who
I am looking to fill all the large voids and space between my speaker box and the vehicle frame. It is a 60cubic foot box and uses the entire vehicle hieght/width and 5 feet deep Some of the material will be up to 4-5 inches thick, and in some places less than a 1/2" thick. The box is made with 1" baltic birch plywood as well.
I was thinking about concrete, but the vehicle will be doing alot of towing and have heard it is very susepitble to cracking? Another choice was resin and sand. Anybody have some experience with that? Commercial grade expanding foam is a choice, but it might not make it dense enough?

The van will be upwards of 165dbs maybe louder so I was looking for best dense choices of filler!

Thanks
Quote 0 0
Gavin
Quote:
Originally posted by Team who:
I am looking to fill all the large voids and space between my speaker box and the vehicle frame. It is a 60cubic foot box and uses the entire vehicle hieght/width and 5 feet deep Some of the material will be up to 4-5 inches thick, and in some places less than a 1/2" thick. The box is made with 1" baltic birch plywood as well.
I was thinking about concrete, but the vehicle will be doing alot of towing and have heard it is very susepitble to cracking? Another choice was resin and sand. Anybody have some experience with that? Commercial grade expanding foam is a choice, but it might not make it dense enough?

The van will be upwards of 165dbs maybe louder so I was looking for best dense choices of filler!

Thanks
"The van will be upwards of 165dbs maybe louder!"

Tall words there! but to answer your question, most builds just put as much wood in the void as possible and fill the small areas with foam.
Quote 0 0
Team who
In my case I'm looking at making the biggest enclosure possible with 1 layer baffle of wood as close to the frame of the vehicle as possible to gain every square foot of cabinet room.

So in my case something as dense as concrete or solid resin that does not crack under flexing and vibration..lol!

I know 165 is large number. It did over 160db's with 2-18's and 10kwrms of power. Thinking of either sticking with ss1-2 or trying out ss3-4 as i have lots of roon And this spring will have 30kw's plus!
Quote 0 0
Gavin
what van are you using? and like I said, fill as many voids as possible with wood and foam the small spots. as for size, 60cubes is a hell of a lotta space for 2 subs and even 4 subs. You don't have to use all that room. you should check with others who are using the same type van you got and check their boxes. Just for the record. all the prople I know with astros, their boxes are in the 30's if not smaller!!! And your baffle.. 1 layer?? is it going to be steel?
Quote 0 0
murilo
He is building a BP Gavin, need to be big.
Quote 0 0
Gavin
Quote:
Originally posted by murilo@soundigital.com.br:
He is building a BP Gavin, need to be big.
Ok now I understand, I didn't see it posted anywhere. but still the same would apply....correct, fill the void with 2x4's and some sheets of wood as best as possible and foam in the small voids. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote 0 0
Team who
You are defiantly right! I should post some pictures, but as the van sits it has a HUGE solid steel cage made from 1X3's and some 2X4's in there! I now just have to move the back wall about 12-15inches futher back and re-finish the cage, then time to add the plywood and start with pouring the resin/sand in the floor anyway!
Quote 0 0
Gavin
post what ya got now to start and just continue as you add / change things.. much better support that way, people may see things your missing that would help you a great deal, ya know what I mean?
Quote 0 0
Team who
I do know what you mean!

How do I post/load pictures on this site? Not used to Termpro format? can't see where to upload photos?
Quote 0 0
Gavin
ya got photobucket? if ya do, upload your pics there then link them here.
Quote 0 0
Team who
I just registered with imageshack.. Same thing? Either way here it goes for a try!

http://yfrog.com/n4genyandss12013j

This picture is a few weeks old, and I'm due for an update. As the van sits now it has no wood left attached to the metal cage, 1/2 the backwall has been cut out, and that large dirrrty pipe in the front wall has been 1/2 removed to!
Quote 0 0
Team who
Once back wall is out, It will be moved back about 12-14inches to gain the extra airspace! I'm going to start with pouring the floor with resin/sand. Should I be using rebar as well?

Thanks
Quote 0 0
Sinister-David
post pics just like this

Quote 0 0
Sinister-David
i would weld in more steel if u can going in between the steel beams on the floor sorta like u did the wall but little different what is the size of the steel u used for the floor?
Quote 0 0
Team who
steel is same 1X3 as used in the walls for the build! I will defiantly being welding in crossbraces on the floor before pouring resin. I will also be welding them to the floor of the van! You can't tell in the picture but they are just sitting on the floor, and it vibrats like madd!
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy