jonny ulvund
Hi.

What is the easiest way to brake in subs after recone, when you have little time to next burp.

how does the expert dbdraggers do it?

Any inputs will be apreaciatet
Quote 0 0
john-hone
we used to play pink noise at half volume for about half an hour. we found that playing the note you burp the same way worked better.
Quote 0 0
Exile son of Exodus
What's the best eay to break in new subs and for how long?
Quote 0 0
john-hone
see above. i just got to the point i just started hitting full tilt burps with no break in. after 3 or 4 they should be loosed up.
Quote 0 0
The Natural
Quote:
Originally posted by john-hone:
we used to play pink noise at half volume for about half an hour. we found that playing the note you burp the same way worked better.
I would have to agree that a sine wave would probably be better for break-in than pink noise.

Mike (Shocker Audio) told us early on to NOT break in the subs for dB Drag use. I figure he knew more than me on the subject, so from that day forward we always tested them full tilt before we went into the lanes, with no break in. The process seemed to work well for us, although I did no A/B testing on the matter.

I still believe that a break in period is good for daily driver setups, but not for dB Drag/burp applications.
Quote 0 0
dB Don
Quote:
Originally posted by jonny ulvund:
Hi.

What is the easiest way to brake in subs after recone, when you have little time to next burp.

how does the expert dbdraggers do it?

Any inputs will be apreaciatet
Best way to properly break in a sub prior to daily use is to play FS in free air to around half electrical xmax. At no point during break in do you ever crank it to xmech or you risk damage. Do this for a few hours and it speeds up the process as long as you never exceed electrical xmax.

So now with the question answered heres more food for thought

The reason you do this with most speakers is you have a fresh subwoofer where in alot of cases you have a stiff suspension and it will hold quite tight and you could rip the neck joint,spider glue or spider mound loose without giving it that work in time to ease the suspension.

The type of spiders also will dictate the break in time. Normally if you give it a few hours doing the FS free air at low power you give the spiders to create the stress points needed for further flex/stress. Going to much excursion on the woofer to soon can cause tiny tears in the glue/fibres used to make the spider and thats what manufactures don't want you to do. Also with woofers that use spider spacers and spider mounts that are not direct to the aluminum frame its much easier to break those rings free during the first hours of play if your pushing the limits.

With that said some woofers require no break in time at all. Such as a burp speaker which works best right out of the box and if the score diminishes as it breaks in, it usually means an extra spider or two might be in order next recone.

If anyone remembers that old mtx that was solid when you bought it(you you oldschoolers you know what I mean) I seen many of those break when burped without break in when alot of CV's, RE's etc... never really needed break in time.

I hope that helps.

[ 05-07-2010, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: dB Don ]
Quote 0 0
john-hone
Geeze don your always so using big words and junk. But your right on that to. We also found buy breaking in you would temper the glue. We were always at least 1.5 down after changing a sub. But after a break in stretching the spiders our score would return.
Quote 0 0
jonny ulvund
So you guys recomend me to use a test tone (FS) for e few hours at small power....

I have seen someone use a tone generetor or something.... is that better or should i use only a test tone (fs)?

any opinion?
Quote 0 0
AudioFaNaTiC
I would just use a test tone.
Quote 0 0
Nemanja
considering this, I got great results to subs

I got my sub to take a lot more power then subs i played full tilt pretty soon after being new
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy