cory30189
i have an old line driver that ive been using for awhile but all of a sudden the past few months when i turn my radio up after about 45 mins the amp goes into protection mode. I got a new amp installed and it does the same thing. Could me line driver somehow be going bad and causing the amp to over heat?
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
maybe you have the line driver turned up too high and it's sending a clipped signal, causing the fets to stay on longer, causing more heat.
or maybe you turn amp gains up too high.
or maybe you have the amp at a lower impedance? or where it's placed its not getting enough airflow
Quote 0 0
cory30189
the sub is a dvc 4 ohm kicker and its wired to be at 2 ohm at the amp. The amp i have is a jl 500/1 at 2 ohm. This is the second amp because crutchfield warrantied my other amp cause we thought the amp had a problem but this new one is doing the same thing. I have the amp mounted hanging on the rear deck. its mounted to the metal framing in the truck.
Quote 0 0
casperskafs
I had a JL 500/1 do the same thing. Just out of no where started doing it one day. I ended up just selling it and never figured out the problem.
Quote 0 0
cory30189
well i just took it to the local stereo shop and they said the bass boost was maxed out and these amps dont like that at all. so im gonna try it with that turned off
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
turning knobs up too high will overheat any amp. you're looking for more bass than that amp is going to safely give you
Quote 0 0
cory30189
well i turned the bass boost all the down and still cut off three times driving home from work. I ordered a new line driver and installed it last night, when i was taking the old one out and disconnected the rca's one of the plugs coming off the old line driver completly fell apart and broke off of the connector. Also the other connectors started coming apart too, so i dont know if that was part of the problem maybe sending bad signals to the amp.
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
how high is your gain set? and what are your deck settings?
Quote 0 0
cory30189
My gain is about half way, and i have factory head unit and bass is set a -4 and line driver is just past halfway
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy