mhart
Back when Circuit City had shows, did it bring in money for them? I keep thinking about how to have more shows and i always come back to Best Buy, but how do you get them to have shows? i am looking for any ideas, thanks guys.
Quote 0 0
TeamSubGoPoof
Any time you can get people to the parking lot you can expect some extra business
Quote 0 0
VegaS10
Actually, no.

The days when we did do them, the events were big (40-50 competitors). Now, add that many extra cars, equipment, and people into an already crowded parking lot on a Sunday and you get a trafic issue.

People wanting to go in and purchase TVs, home audio, and computers didn't want to deal with all the loud cars and kids running around playing proanity at high volumes.

Install bays were empty as customers were out in the front lot listening to other people's cars. We never sold competition level equipment, so we really weren't benefitting from having DDs and Strokers in our parking lots.

It was fun and brought alot of people together, but we made no extra money and other departments of the store suffered due to less foot traffic.
Quote 0 0
THE-SCRAPER
Quote:
Originally posted by VegaS10:
Actually, no.

The days when we did do them, the events were big (40-50 competitors). Now, add that many extra cars, equipment, and people into an already crowded parking lot on a Sunday and you get a trafic issue.

People wanting to go in and purchase TVs, home audio, and computers didn't want to deal with all the loud cars and kids running around playing proanity at high volumes.

Install bays were empty as customers were out in the front lot listening to other people's cars. We never sold competition level equipment, so we really weren't benefitting from having DDs and Strokers in our parking lots.

It was fun and brought alot of people together, but we made no extra money and other departments of the store suffered due to less foot traffic.
True, even back in 98-2000 you could purchase amps and subs off C-City and still be competiive locally, as for today forget about it,lol.
Quote 0 0
TheBigOki
Hey Alan, whats up?

I see your arguments, but I have some others:

Sure, it is ALSO an intention to sell more stuff THIS day.
But: If you pay some "bunnies" to run around and
make some people happy with their "look", do
you sell more "bunnies" this or any other day?

Its also about giving people a good time so that
they remember your companies name.
Its crossvoer marketing.

No matter what stuff is used in competition, if its
a good show for competitors and visitors, they
will remember next time when they need a set
of batteries, a TV, a CD, a microwave or whatever.

They think, "I need a fridge", where do I go?
Hm, what stores carry them? Wait, I have good
memories on circuit city. There was a nice show
the other day and it seems they care about their
customers mood. Letz go there...

Ok, just an example. Hope you understand what I mean!

Look at it from a wider angle and dont look
at these kind of details you mentioned.

Anyways, in the days of Bass Race its not important
if you play with Stokers or DDs agains Sonys or
even "McHammers" in the 129,9 class...

I know its hard anyways. I have this kind
of problems also in our country with similar
kind of electronic markets. But sometimes my (these)
arguments help! And nobody was disappointed so far!

Quote 0 0
VegaS10
Originally posted by TheBigOki:
Hey Alan, whats up?

I see your arguments, but I have some others:

Sure, it is ALSO an intention to sell more stuff THIS day.
But: If you pay some "bunnies" to run around and
make some people happy with their "look", do
you sell more "bunnies" this or any other day?

Its also about giving people a good time so that
they remember your companies name.
Its crossvoer marketing.

No matter what stuff is used in competition, if its
a good show for competitors and visitors, they
will remember next time when they need a set
of batteries, a TV, a CD, a microwave or whatever.

They think, "I need a fridge", where do I go?
Hm, what stores carry them? Wait, I have good
memories on circuit city. There was a nice show
the other day and it seems they care about their
customers mood. Letz go there...

Ok, just an example. Hope you understand what I mean!

Look at it from a wider angle and dont look
at these kind of details you mentioned.

Anyways, in the days of Bass Race its not important
if you play with Stokers or DDs agains Sonys or
even "McHammers" in the 129,9 class...

I know its hard anyways. I have this kind
of problems also in our country with similar
kind of electronic markets. But sometimes my (these)
arguments help! And nobody was disappointed so far!

Quote 0 0
TheBigOki
I see Alan,
but the woman were just an example!
It can be more than that. Something for families
and little children. Playgrounds, raffles,
popcorn machines, CLOWNS (instead of Boobs,
or female clowns WITH BOOBS LOL)
and on the side, something what makes fun to watch
(Bass Race i.e.)
and what is halfway related to stuff CC sells.
Or any other store.

I also see the argument of controlling the kids.
If you tried it and it didnt work out, well,
at least you tried ist.

Germany in basic is not as different as the
rest of the world.

Just trying to find ideas for all of you,
even if theses are old ideas, but the heck,
sometimes the old stuff works best!

Quote 0 0
xi2elic
I ran a show at my Circuit City when I worked there and it was quite the hassle for regular customers. The competition took up the entire back parking lot and little room was left for parking. Management had mixed feelings. It was nice to bring that atmosphere to the retail store, but it hardly had any benefit to the retail business as a whole.

Contrary to previous poster(s) though, our bay was overflowed with customers that day.
Quote 0 0
JordyO
I think it's all in what the intentions are and how you go about it.

My friends from SPL Inc have just put on a small series of shows at their local Best Buy (it helps that Jeff from SPL Inc is a manager there)

They were absolutely brilliant in how they did it though.

He pointed it DIRECTLY at local competitors and almost made it so veterans didn't even want to show up.

See, the first thing they did was make it happen on Tuesday nights. Locals are always around so it's not a hassle for them to go to the local BB on a Tuesday. Plus the store isn't as busy so it's not like he's interfeering with the weekend rush.

They also put it at the back of the store so it did't impede traffic for other stores.

Then, they made it a series. The competitors had a reason to keep coming back every week and THEY DID. They even had a larger event at the end (but still on a Tuesday) so there was a series championship.

The smaller shows just had certificates but the larger finale had tropies for each class including a points champion (again, more incentive to return)

All of the results were posted on the TNE web page along with photos. (the Org SPL Inc chose to run)

When the competitors showed up it was about 90% "fresh meat" while there were still a few vets there just to show them how it was done.

Time in the lanes wasn't rushed and if people needed a few seconds to understand what the heck hey were doing then the time was taken and the judges were happy to show them how to participate. (this removes the intimidation of just getting in to the lanes with everyone watching!)

In the end the series was a huge hit with the same regular people coming back week after week trying to improve their scores and reach for that magical 140-145. (who here remembers THOSE days??).

So yeah... I think people are still a bit too caught up in the format of "make it a multi, put it in a big parking lot on a weekend and get as many heavy hitters as possible" when there are a lot of other ways to get people in to the lanes. You just need to think outside of the box!

Also, as a side note, a lot of these competitors actually did come out to the regular "multi on a weekend" event held later in the season because they had already been in the lanes at the smaller show and they wanted to see what it would be like to compete on a larger scale.

THIS is how you build up a competitor base and get new people out to you shows

Basically.. Jeff/Martine/Mike/Ange and the rest of the people who put on the shows thought of a different way to reach people and did a really good job of doing it. Fortuantely Bob (the store manager at the Best Buy in Kingston) was also behind the idea and helped support it all the way because he could see how the 'different approach' SPL Inc was taking could benefit the store in general.
Quote 0 0
mhart
the tuesday shows are a great idea. thanks everyone.
Quote 0 0
VegaS10
Jordy's ideas are great.

Our location had 2X events (when those actually meant something), so we had Eric Reid, Lovelace, Larry Benton, Jeff wright, Paul Nelson, etc show up.

We had a fantastic db drag setup, and it ran very smoothly, however, it took up a tremendous amount of room in front of the store (we had no rear parking lot).

Having it in the middle of the week is a great idea, and it makes alot of sense for locals...which is what it SHOULD be about.
Quote 0 0
JordyO
Woah now.. lets be clear.. these aren't MY ideas. These are all from Jeff Boudreau of SPL Inc.
Quote 0 0
VegaS10
You posted them, therefore they are yours....lol
Quote 0 0
JordyO
haha.. I don't want to be taking credit for something a good friend of mine came up with.

I'm not nearly bright enough to have set things up the way he did
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy