elmosworld
Here is my setup and problem.
Setup
GPV2000.1d amp
Opti1232D dual 2ohm sub(wired down to 1ohm)
0 gauge power-ground
pioneer deh16 h.u.
1 farad cap(at the moment)

Problem.
Ok problem is with clipping. Turn headunit on and adjust everything to 0 on settings(bal,fad,sla,etc). Turned volume up to 80% and start to adjust amp with remote knob all the way up. I turn lvl up until I see the maxxsonics logo start to flash red a little. Now its hitting fairly descent. Got back upfront and startedd adjusting on headunit. Look down and remote knob falshing red so I turned it down.
Got upset because amp is barely moving the sub.
Called maxxsonics dude told me to adjust subsonic and the rest cause the amp is clipping itself. Back to amp and adjusted subsonic and seemed to help some. Also to me to do a voltage drop tet.
Sounds ok but this sub is built to pound. If I clip the piss out of the amp I can watch the rearview mirror drop and bounce off windsheild.
The voltage drop test showed I was loosing 1.1 volts when sub hits hard. Hooked cap up to see if it would help. Cap has a hard time staying at 14 volts. It drops also to 13.3 volts and really drops if I let it clip for a few second.

Main problem Is I want the pound without clipping my amp. Done almost everything I know to do. Even my buddy has tryed and we are baffled.
Quote 0 0
tekk45
What kind of box? Got pics?
Quote 0 0
elmosworld
Box is 4 cube internal. Forgot to mention done big 3 upgraded. at 1 point I had subsonic cutting off anything below 30hz and she still showed clipping.
Is the remote knob the same thing as turning the lvl up and down?
Pics I have on camera in which we left at the inlaws on halloween.
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
4cf for a single 12" sub? what port dimensions?
Quote 0 0
elmosworld
Port is 2"x 27" With port board 11". Box is tuned to 43hz and peaks at 43.43hz. I did a winisd on the recomended box of 1.8cf. I had an explode that hit harder with 760w. This sub has 2000watts on it.
Let me put it this way. Yesterday I tried retuneing the amp and sub in my old 3.5cf box to see if it would help. Came up same problem. This time I measured rcs volts with volume@50%. The rcas measured 0.454 to 0.455 volts. on both rca's. So outputs are assumming fine. Then measured voltage at subwoofer termainals on box. Came to 20volts or less, can't remember. The whole time a 43hz note was being played. So decreased lvl until voltmeter showed Around 11volts. Look at remote knob and see a faint red light. Then started adjusting on subsonic until the light went off. turned about 1/4 turn. Then slowly turned up lvl again. Went to 14volts with little clipping. Thought finally. Hitting hard. Played some tunes to see how it sounded. Some songs hit well and others not so good. Thought it can be expected. Then played nelly grillz with some high notes and behold clipping like crazy. Turned headunit bass down to -6 and it still clipped.So turned back to 0. Now headunit is a pioneer deh1600 if you need to check it out. But I think it is the headunit cause if I turn one thing down on the headunit I can increase the lvl or remote with no problems. But if I put like bass @+1 It will start clipping. With the volume not being touched. Like the amp is getting an unclean signal.
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
get a linedriver
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
We shall assume that the amp will pass 20A current at 1ohm with a rail voltage near 50VAC, less internal losses. That example gives us 1000Wrms.

Lets suppose that amplifier can yield a voltage gain of 30 times input. If you are feeding it 0.45v, multiplied by 30 nets you 13.5volts of output. multiplied by 20A gives you 270W. so the amp is clipping the output voltage at low power

Now try giving the amplifier 4 times the input signal, 1.8V true average clean signal. multiplied by 30 gives you 54VAC and 20A current gives you 1080Wrms.

The amp starts clipping when it can no longer gain-up the voltage
Quote 0 0
elmosworld
K I see what you are saying. In other words get a different headunit or linedriver.
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
if it says it's a 2volt output, it's probably going to give you well less than one. If it's a 4v output, you'll probably read out a little over 2 if you're lucky. maybe not.
a better deck, yes. a lined-diver would be great too.
Quote 0 0
elmosworld
Thax for the help.
Quote 0 0
elmosworld
K ppl. Here we go again. This time it is with a kdc-x493 4 volt subwoofer out with front and rear also. Hooked up new headunit. Started out sounding awesome.(really moves sub now)This thing is sweet.
The other day I put the amp into protect mode. Turned off headunit then turned back on. Amp comes back online. So I decided to turn down the remote knob till she showed green. Also smelled amp heating up. Got home and drug out amp manual. read at 80degree c(i think) she'll go into protect mode. So I thought I was pushing it fairly hard.
I am now thinking that the rca'a might be playing a part in it. Cause they are close to main power wire for amp. They are the scoche at wally. Thinking about moving ground wire to new spot to see if it helps. Now when the volume is up and nothing else done to headunit(no bass boost anything) headlights really dim.(even @ higher speed and rpm's)
I retuned with headunit at vol.26 3/4 of 35max. I had subsonic around 30hz with low pass around 60hz.Turned lvl up around 50% of lvl she'll show clipping. Start turning lpass down clipping starts going away. Barely turn lvl back up and boom clipping.
Got tired of that route. Unhooked sub and hooked dvom up and set amp to 4.5v on amp with 43hz note playing. Then paused note hooked sub back up and showed clipping. Now Im think sub might be the cause. I have not tryed the sub on a 4ohm yet(dvc2ohm) amp would see the ohm load and put out 500watts instead. xmax on sub is 14. The subs freq.response is 26 to800hz.2200watts peak/ 1100wrms. If I'm not misstaken amp is 800wrms 2000watts peak. Think I already see the problem.
So what do you think would still be causeing the amp to clip? Not enough current/voltage, rcas,ground. Anything would be helpful
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
if your lights are dimming that bad, you aren't feeding the amp enough voltage and current. It takes power to make power.
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy