PioneerSaturn
Hey guys,

Just posting this up seeing what people would think the outcome would be/effects this would have. Ive been thinking of building a horn/hood of sorts ontop of my enclosure (port is on back, top of the enclosure which is my rear deck)

Here are a couple pics of the enclosure and port area..

^Not very good shots but the port is at the other end of the enclosure, upfiring (7" x 28.5" slot port)

Here's a bit of a better shot..just without all the mdf in there, you can see the port opening on the right in the back window..

Im thinking about making a hood/horn from the port upto the front of the enclosure and sealing around it..something like these:

Any comments/concerns as far as shifts in tuning something like this would have on the setup? It's already tuned to 30hz as it is (I dont want it to drop much from this) and Id try and keep the flare pretty big.

I can draw up a better idea in the near future with dimensions and the whole nine-yards. Thanks in advance though
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
it's going to tune it a bit lower. But i don't see there really being much of a gain from it.
If it's turning into a wall anyways, I think a regular wall would be at least 3dB louder than this.
Quote 0 0
PioneerSaturn
Yea, Im kind of rethinking it and we'll see what happens...maybe just smooth out the ceiling and bit and try and finish up the rear deck to smooth that out and finish sealing around the enclosure.
Quote 0 0
Mr. Slate
Is this for competition or an everyday ground pounder?
Quote 0 0
PioneerSaturn
^Both, but mostly for everyday...just eventually wanting to get to 49.9 bassracing after an upgrade...I just want to make things as good as possible before-hand.
Quote 0 0
THE-SCRAPER
Proposed box design looks excellent!!
You might have some standing waves issues to address from the beginning of the horn at the rear corners of the encloser,then again it could help because it would create compression at the where the horn starts
Quote 0 0
PioneerSaturn
Thanks. And I thought about possibly putting a 'hump' infront of the port aswell
Quote 0 0
The Repo Man
Like Donald said, the loading will cause the note to drop a bit. Not like thats a bad thing.

You will see a gain from taking up the extra cabin area and focussing the energy forward where you want it at the dash.

Also in order to run the 149 class you need to be able to do a consistent 151.5 - 152db and have enough battery power to support the draw.

looks pretty doable to me.
Quote 0 0
winslow
That isn't big enough to be a horn at bass frequencies. Almost not big enough for a midbass horn.
Quote 0 0
PioneerSaturn
Quote:
Originally posted by The Repo Man:
Like Donald said, the loading will cause the note to drop a bit. Not like thats a bad thing.

You will see a gain from taking up the extra cabin area and focussing the energy forward where you want it at the dash.

Also in order to run the 149 class you need to be able to do a consistent 151.5 - 152db and have enough battery power to support the draw.

looks pretty doable to me.
Yea, Im not really expecting to run 49.9 with this setup..I'll be adding more batteries, roughly doubling the power, and beefier woofers down the road. And I think running the kerfed piece from the back of the port, up and along the ceiling all the way to the windshield will also help keep the pressure off of my sunroof and smooth everything out aswell.

And yea, a bit lower would be ok with me

Quote:
Originally posted by winslow:
That isn't big enough to be a horn at bass frequencies. Almost not big enough for a midbass horn.
Well I would consider it more of a horn than just an extension of the port, that is all.
Quote 0 0
Nightshade
Honestly Doug I would just do a wall if your planning on extending the port any higher than the window line your at now. It will put you into SS classes either way and a wall should be much louder and probably more efficient. You know you want to
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
he already has to run in SS1-2. he passed nowall a while back
Quote 0 0
PioneerSaturn
Yea, i wont be tearing this enclosure out for a very long time..I just simply dont have the money + time right now and I just dont want to, the performance is just want. Im just looking to add this on and probably gain a bit to help for the upcoming upgrade(s).

And im not looking for normal Plus im in extreme/bassrace only now with the supports welded into the ceiling infront of the windowline.
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy