Wanna-B-Basshead Show full post »
The Repo Man
Fatmat is garbage, peel ans seal is a better product no joke!
Quote 0 0
SPL Creator
Ok, so a few of you think FatMat sucks, so tell me why you think so, and don't just say cause it does. Did you lose db's, have it fall off?
Quote 0 0
Sinister-David
cheapy made ****. falls offs after time. if u going to put the money and time into installing it and buying it why not buy something that one is alot better made and will help u more and last hella long. u can put fatmat and second skin side by side and see the diffence and people have gained from going from fatmat to second skin
Quote 0 0
Andy Jones
The weight of the fatmat is tremendously less than that of the others. I'll have to go back and find my notes on just how much--but it was TREMENDOUSLY less.

Also the aluminum top coat (which is the important part of the deadener) is also TREMENDOUSLY thinner on the fatmat than on the 3 I listed.

In the end it doesn't have the necessary properties to work as a quality deadener. It doesn't matter if it sticks forever on the metal, because it isn't doing anything while it is sticking there.

You would have to use 4-5 layers of the fat mat to get to the equivelent of one layer of the stuff I listed above.

A little over a year ago I gathered a large number of deadeners and tested them all. I didn't care which one was the best. I just wanted to use the best product.

I used the second skin. It was by far the best.

The scosche was second. The thing I didn't like about it was the logo that was pressed into the aluminum. That made it difficult to apply in some tight places. Other than that, it was as good as the Second Skin.

The Dynamat extreme was third. It didn't weight as much as the others, and the aluminum layer was a bit thinner. I again also hated the logo and the fact it was always wrinkled no matter what you did. Appareance does matter. But it would be a good product to use. It is just off of the second skin and scosche as far as the weight and aluminum goes.

the fatmat, raamat, elemental designs (two different kinds), stinger, peal n seal, and the others (my mind went blank) were all a good bit back from those 3 listed above
Quote 0 0
SPL Creator
Thats what I wanted to know, I've seen posts on other forums about fatmat and other deadeners and all people say is that it sucks cause it falls off, but nothing real. I've had it on for well over a year and not one piece has fallen off or even come close, so I can't say it sucks for those reasons. I put on two layers all around, seeing as Drags said thats all thats allowed, and it did do a good job at quieting down the road noise, didn't do any real testing to compare the difference in db's cause I made several upgrades at once.
Quote 0 0
Andy Jones
if you are trying to quiet road noise, mat deadener isn't what you want. foam is what you want. Stuff like luxury liner pro from second skin, or the equivelent from the other companies.

Mat deadner is not intended to really quiet down road noise on an effective level. It may have a minor effect but its kind of like using a kite to pull a car instead of using a gasoline powered engine.
Quote 0 0
new2boom
we just installed a layer of fatmat in my blazer helped with some of the rattles but didnt show much of a gain my baseline was a 147.7 weak batt and after fatmat 148.0 weak batt but with a full charged batt it done a 147.9 with out fatmat have not tested with charged batt yet but im sure its better than a 148 so db increased a little. oh and my buddy does a 152.2 with fatmat installed been in his vehicle for 2 years no problems what so ever with the fatmat sticks great and he gained 1.5db after installed.
Quote 0 0
screechie
I have had great success with fatmat, I did my whole suv over a year now and recently I pull the roof down to check and nothing has fall off and it reduced road noise significantly and no rattle is heard as you would hear with most suv's, maybe it sucks but it work wonders for me

[ 11-02-2009, 05:57 AM: Message edited by: screechie ]
Quote 0 0
Master Yoda
Second Skin is the only way to go!!
Quote 0 0
SPL Creator
I can see a couple tenths of a db from just the deadener, but 1.5 seems pretty high, sounds more like something else changed too.
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy