The Natural
I believe I have a working understanding of ground loops, but does the same thing apply to multiple grounds in the power supply system itself?

I have a stock alternator and battery under the hood and I'm about to run a 1/0 cable to the back of the vehicle. There will be a small battery and dist block under the front seat for my mids/highs amps in a custom console. THEN the 1/0 will continue to the back where there will be another small battery and another dist block for the bass amp.

Is there any problem with grounding all the amplifiers and all the batteries in this setup? This will create a minimum of 2 additional groundling locations in the power system.

Would it be of any benefit to run a 1/0 ground to both sets of batteries and amps that I am adding?
Quote 0 0
The Natural
After I posted, I started reading, and found this...

II. Don't introduce ground loops. Ground loops are created whenever an audio ground is established at more than one location. Theoretically, the only place the audio ground should be connected to the chassis ground is at the source unit. In my experience, I've found that in systems that have noise problems, a ground loop is the culprit nine times out of ten.

VI. Make sure the amplifiers have a good audio ground reference. In order for the amps to function properly, the audio ground must be referenced to chassis ground at the source unit. If it is not, the amplifier could oscillate. To check for a good ground reference, take a volt-ohm meter (VOM) and measure the resistance between the chassis of the radio and the shield of the RCA line level outputs of the radio. This reading should indicate a direct short. If this is not the case, grounding the shield of the RCA line level outputs to the chassis of the radio will probably be necessary.

VIII. Don't connect all of your amplifier ground wires under one bolt. Contrary to belief, this is not required if the rest of the system is installed properly. If you do connect more than one power ground wire under a single bolt, you run the risk of amplifier ground modulation. This is caused by the current demands of, for example a woofer amp, modulating the power ground wire of a tweeter amp. This results in a squeaking noise that can be heard over the tweeters whenever bass notes hit.

from Wayne's Ten Commandments of Noise Prevention...featured in the March/April 1989 issue of Car Stereo Review magazine

This helps...I guess I need to draw the system out on paper so I know what I'm dealing with.
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy