kraven moorehead Show full post »
Bostonian Fats
Quote:
Originally posted by kraven moorehead:
"history also proves that unions fail. nothing that unions were created for in the past hold any merit today"

Becasue we have overcome!!!! We won the struggle. My trade is prospering, even in a shyt economy and I live in a right to work state. What holds true in one state doesnt necessarily hold true in another. I am not an economist but I think that unions dont fail companies fail because of escallated profit margains vs operating expenses. With less company profit and more employee wages and benefits most companys will shut the doors and write it off as a loss so they make more money in the end. Remember it is ALL about Company Profit.
i was speaking in generalities and it pretty much holds true. it's one of the few things that economists from both sides agree on. ultimately, they all fail regardless of success they had.

put together all the things you said, add in rediculous taxation and couple it with the union(which indirectly drive up fixed labor costs thru the added operating expenses associated with both sides) and a company cannot prosper. it has to be all about company profit and rightfully so. unions just add insult to injury. look at the automotive industry. it was destined for failure. and even when it was told to sharpen up it refused and so it failed. so even if it's not the main problem it's a contributing factor. and the bigger the company gets the worse off it becomes when it's unionized.

most unions today by industry aren't true unions anyhow. any "union" operating in a right to work state just collect dues. they may act on behalf for you and the company may choose to save face creating the equilibrium so everyone stays happy. your union is ALL about making a profit too. it wouldn't exist otherwise.
Quote 0 0
kraven moorehead
I agree with you on some points but it looks like again there is no answer.....Here in Baltimore as an example: The Ravens Stadium was a collaborated effort of union and non union workers. Instead of Pile Drivers they used a scab company and ALL the Piles were mislocated all of them! The Union Pile Drivers came in and with the help of Union Laborers and Carpenters they dismantled all the existing piles and put them in the right location for the rest of the trades to build on. When the Union came in the project was 6 months behind schedule, it finished on time and was done right because they had SKILLED craftsmen that did the job right the first time. Just one example,
Quote 0 0
bignoiz
unions are yesterdays news and have long outlived their usefullness

i am a small business owner, i own an industrial and commercial coatings company specializing in roof coatings and have nothing to do with any union

we can easily outperform union contractors in all aspects of the job from start to finish as we're only focused on doing the job minus all the other bs that comes with the unions

theory is one thing and reality is another, plain and simple the reality is only the strong survive and the overburdened old school way of thinking is going the way of the dinosaur
Quote 0 0
bignoiz
kraven, the unions will always have their own agenda, i'm not saying that the workers are the problem just the rules they play under are for the most part outdated and as such they will seriously struggle to compete with companies like mine
Quote 0 0
Broken Silence - Johnny
Exactly. Your company does just as good of a job as a union company, you pay your workers less, but they don't have to pay any dues to anyone, so in reality they get paid about the same...
Quote 0 0
kraven moorehead
my dues are $17 a month.
Quote 0 0
SPLCHEVETE
Quote:
Originally posted by kraven moorehead:
my dues are $17 a month.
Every union I know of you pay a percentage of you wages.
Quote 0 0
Iconoclast
key: Union = collective bargaining.

key 2: companies that have unions can survive. Usually it is outside forces that cause their downfall (recessions, regime changes, technology advancements, etc.).

I say the first one because someone asked what a Union can bargain for that a person can't. ... A hell of a lot! Go up to your boss and say you aren't paid enough, and that if he doesn't pay you more, you will suspend work until he does. I bet he'll still be laughing when you get your unemployment check.

Like Unions or not, they have served an important purpose in our country. Many worker protection laws came about with their help, which may have never been without the Unions.

Overpaid workers? See key 2. Unions don't kill companies... they simply allow for a shrinkage of the pay gaps between owners (and the like) and the workers. Simply put, if they weren't effective, or if Unions killed companies (or made them unprofitable), there would be no unions.

Leeches? Perhaps. They usually go significant periods without significant contributions to the workers. But this is subjective to opinion and example. I think any generalization would not be valid.
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy