thumpintruckred
HELP: What would you do if you stayed up late working on a speech project and you come to find out someone that also presented today didn't even do their own work? I mean, I was up till 1:30am getting things perfect and being nervous today, while another student just used someone else's speech they got ahold of. What would you do? I'm so pissed.....

p.s. To cap it off, this person already coasted on MY coat-tails when I did all the work for the group project and they did barely anything. This only confirms why I took over on the group work...
Quote 0 0
bignoiz
call them out

lack of accountability is something that seriously makes me
Quote 0 0
Bill Wolf
Throat punch.
Quote 0 0
thumpintruckred
He told me and another girl he didn't do his own speech, so calling him out will do nothing. He doesn't care.

He's some loser ass 20-year old who plays beer pong instead of doing his own homework apparently. I'm all for a social life, but dishonesty like this, espically on an academic level, makes me mad!
Quote 0 0
Broken Silence - Johnny
Unless you have proof...nothing.
Quote 0 0
thumpintruckred
I know

Just sucks, wish I had more proof then his word of mouth.

Ugh...
Quote 0 0
Mike Fallon
what was the speech about?

A lot of stuff gets sold on the internet and you can google the topic.
Quote 0 0
JordyO
Hate to say it... but suck it up and deal.

He's only screwing himself. At the end of the day your ability to actually DO the work matters more than a grade you get and it's not like what he gets has any effect on your grade. (basically, do the work for YOU not for anyone else)

I was a "C" student my whole life and not once has anyone ever asked me what my grades were like during a job interview or when I was up for a promotion.

They care more about work ethic, experience and personal suitability.
Quote 0 0
JohnnyKo12
Don't do anything. Snitches get stitches. *****Especially if you have ever cheated in any way shape or form in school ever.******If his speech does not affect your grade just let it go.

A rediculously large amount of college students cheat and it is the teacher's job to notice or not. When you are paying for college its kind of up to you if you want to get a lot out of it, or just skate through and get a degree.

Especially with a speech, it is kind of hard to cheat. He still had to memorize the speech, make sense of it, and deliver it well. Even though the info was borrowed, the delivery is usually the most important part of a speech.

Politicians have professional speech writers and that isn't called cheating, it's just smart business.
Quote 0 0
JohnnyKo12
btw I'm a teacher and I still say don't turn him in.
Quote 0 0
Iconoclast
1. what jordy and johnny said.

As long as it doesn't directly affect you, don't worry about it. Just know that if somehow he never gets caught and kicked out, his degree will be .

2. There is one more thing you may want to consider. You are at the same institution as he. And, if he makes it through, your degrees will be held valid by the word and reputation of the same institution. In other words, no matter what effect his actions may or may not have on your grade(s), having someone that ignorant and incompetent holding the same degree does necessarily reduce the value of yours. Tolerance and ignorance of cheating in an institution is an easy way to lose accreditation from accrediting institutions as well.

3. Do not let people like that make you lose faith! Stick with it and do your best. Set up meetings with your professors about papers and things like this, whether you need it or not. It will make you remember the stuff better and will show your professors that you care. And, from this perspective, lazy people make you look that much better. You WANT your professors to remember you (... for your hard work and excellent performance, not for being lazy or for "par" performance). You will want recommendations from them in the future, and employers, whether they should or not, DO put a lot of weight to previous professors' opinions.

In just about every group I've been in, there has been at least one person who doesn't pull their weight. My freshman year (when I was an engineering major), we were split into groups of 3-4 to write programs. Both of my team mates were extremely lazy and didn't do any of the work (I mean, absolutely none). It was a semester-long project, and eventually everyone in the class, including the professor, knew that I had no help from my group members.

The professor didn't say anything or do anything. She wanted to see what I would do. I never complained (though she knew that I knew that she knew), and I ended up having the best program out of the entire freshman class when we exaluated them. We had to all be present for the evaluations, and I answered the questions. I used words like "we" and "our," just like they helped. She asked some questions directed for each of them and they got docked significantly because they had no idea (they hadn't even seen the program until then).

So, instead of complaining or anything else, I took it as an opportunity to excel. I learned more because of their laziness than I could have otherwise, and the impression I made on the professor, as well as her telling the other professors about my performance, are things that cannot be bought. Regardless of the situation, professors (and employers) want you to be able to excel in the face of any problem you face. And recommendations that you can do just that are invaluable.

Look at this as an opportunity

4. You seem stressed. After you finish this speech go out and play some beer pong or something
Quote 0 0
thumpintruckred
It actually required no skill, he read his speech directly off the outline he had...

And his delivery blowed...

Not trying to be a snitch, guess I was venting for the moment...
Quote 0 0
thumpintruckred
@iconoclast: Definatly having dinner and drinks with friends tonight...stressed to the MAX with school right now.
Quote 0 0
Bostonian Fats
Quote:
Originally posted by thumpintruckred:
another girl
sounds like you got a better shot at banging her than homedude does.
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy