Jerhemy1331
hey guys,

Just got my HO alt installed a month or so ago, and I got the big 3 done with Monster 0 gauge. my question is should I put a 300amp fuse in the charging wire between the alt and the battery? I have heard several different arguments either way. either "yes you need one cause if it's not fused and a diode* or something in the alt blows and it sends unrestricted current through the charging wire It will likely heat up and start the wire on fire" or that "having a fused wire, and the fuse blows for some reason, it will cause the alt to think the battery is 'dead' and the alt will generate it's max output and probably burn itself out"

at the moment it is not fused and I have driven a few hundred miles with the new alt and wires.

any info would be great!

Thanks
Quote 0 0
ben jamin
You should have a fuse near the alternator but it is to keep the car from burning up when or if the wire shorts out. Those other stories you have heard don’t make any sense at all if you know how diodes and or alternators work. fuses are always a good idea.
Quote 0 0
Jerhemy1331
thanks for the reply!

yea I had only heard that from one person who obviously thought he knew what he was talking about.

I will be sure to get a good fuse on there.

also, where is the best place to post up my build of my daily driver? not really a category that is for just builds yet..
Thanks
Quote 0 0
Jerhemy1331

that fuse look like it's a good distance from the alt?
Quote 0 0
ben jamin
Yep looks good
If it were me I would try to protect areas where something could touch and short out but that’s me. I have a habit of setting wrenches on things that short out.
Quote 0 0
Jerhemy1331
what areas are you seeing that should be protected that are not? just wondering. the fuse holder has a cover on it, like the ones at the top of the image, and I have it taped on good. I am going to get some black electrical tape and tape around the wires and make a good seal to the fuse holder, cause it hopefully won't ever need to be changed or anything.
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy