Bassphobia
If a person has enough room in his/her van/truck, wouldn't it be feasible to install a big inverter and just run home audio equipment from it (saves a lot of cable running)? A 2400watt AC inverter is only about 300 bucks or less...just a thought before I hit the haysack.
Quote 0 0
Death By Bass
Quote:
Originally posted by Bassphobia:
(saves a lot of cable running)
it does? how?
Quote 0 0
Bassphobia
Instad of running 3 pairs of RCA cables you can use just one optical cable; no cable running between crosover/preamp/amp because a (good) receiver contains all of the functions; power cables to the inverter can be short depending on where's installed...etc.

I like my home audio components and it will be neat to bring that home audio look into my car.
Quote 0 0
Bassphobia
Still need more batteries tho
Quote 0 0
Death By Bass
you want to install EVERYTHING home audio in the car?

what about a record player? cant forget that?

and I believe that you can't use optical cables in an envionment with viabrations and stuff...
Quote 0 0
mike hatt
its doable, but the main questian is why? I know i know you said you like the home audio components but you do know there are car audio components to do almost everything a home audio component can, except a phonograph and a reel to reel that is.
Quote 0 0
Bassphobia
No optical cable transmit signal via light pulse so as long as the glass/plastic cable doesn't break you'll be fine

No record players, opt for XBox 360 or something small that can handle most media formats. For the speakers you can just rip out the home speaker sets and make pods for them in the car, and sub-wise you can go with a powered sub or a pro audio amp and seperate subs.
Quote 0 0
Bassphobia
I've always mixed car audio subs in my home theater and I thought it'll be interesting if I can do the opposite...
Quote 0 0
HCCAfan
um, you guys actually dream this stuff up, dont ya?

and if you got plenty of room, what you so worried about running wires for? i would honestly work on your wire running skills first off, then you will forget about all this home audio in cars nonsense.
Quote 0 0
Bassphobia
The main reason why I would want to do this is because there's no easy way to incorporate optical/coaxial digital signal in a car without buying the most expensive systems, it seems like a good idea but I haven't seen a sub-$1,000 HU that can vary the volume of its digital output.
Quote 0 0
constantbass
Sounds like a great idea to me...I love to see something different. I've actually considered it before as well but good home audio equip is more expensive than car audio, but I'm sure you already have the stuff or whatnot. The other prob I saw was I had no way to control the equip from the front of the car (aka dash) when equip is in the back/trunk...I know there are remotes and all but thats all out of my price range. Anyway, I'd love to see it...

oh and:
Origonally posted by Death by Bass:
Quote:

and I believe that you can't use optical cables in an envionment with viabrations and stuff... [Razz]
I thought you'd know better than that...optical is 100 times better than any other wiring no matter what the environment...Bassphopia was right in that it's just pulses of light, nothing affects it except if it's smashed or cut.
Quote 0 0
Bassphobia
Ther are slim/mini receivers that may do the job without too much mods to the dash or the receiver itself, such as this one...

And this one

If I remove the display panel and few important controls I can have the display upfront and the rest of it hidden somewhere else. One of those "hackjobs" I suppose.
Quote 0 0
Bassphobia
Moreover, some of those THX-ceritified computer speakers like these can be incorporated also, They're all self-contained which is pretty nice.

Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra

Creative Gigaworks 7.1
Quote 0 0
deaf tones
Quote:
Originally posted by Death By Bass:
you want to install EVERYTHING home audio in the car?

what about a record player? cant forget that?
even though you're trying to be a smartass -- fyi, phonographs have been made available as factory accessories in cars as early as the late '50's (45 in the '59 impala is one).
Quote 0 0
Andy Jones
The entire time I was reading this post I was humming Too Short's "In the Ghetto".
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy