Nevadaguy
So, I have a 170 amp HO alternator, a die hard battery in front and a optima yellow top in the rear. I did the big 3 upgrade and have 4 gauge the whole way around now. I have the batteries wired positive to positive with a relay (for disconnect purposes - rated at 300 amps throughput) in between. From the positive terminal on the rear battery I have another 4 gauge running to the amp (a mrp-m2000) with a 175 amp fuse in between. The other wire is from negative terminal to negative terminal, with another 4 gauge coming from the negative terminal and being grounded where the amp is grounded.
Prior to this, when I was at idle, the amp would shut off (presumably due to lack of power). Now that problem doesn't not exist anymore. I played it for 15 minutes without a single problem. Here IS the problem though. The headlights still dim a little bit when the bass hits - that was one of the reasons I did the upgrade. From the way I have it hooked up (in parallel) I should have enough reserve capacity and the alternator should be putting out enough so that the headlights don't dim.
Quick facts: At rest the die hard in the front measures 12 volts and the optima in the rear measures 15 volts. When the vehicle is running, both register 14.4v.
Any thoughts or ideas?
Thanks!!
Quote 0 0
TeamSubGoPoof
change out the die hard in the front...

And do this...

Remove the ground for the amp from the chassis. Hook your batteries ground to a good ground...ground to the amp

That way the amp is pulling 100% through your batteries.

Also you said you had a relay on the front battery? What kind of relay are you talking about?
Quote 0 0
Nevadaguy
Ok..sounds good. So, ground the rear battery in a good place and then run a 4 gauge wire from the negative terminal on the rear battery to the ground terminal on the amp?
The "relay" is just a switch that basically has two battery terminals on it. You can flip the switch to disconnect (it is not simply a toggle switch -- it has a "key" that you rotate...when it is in the "off" position you can remove the key..it is rated for 300 amps, and my amp has a maximum of 200 amp pull). I have it located on the positive cable between the positive terminals from the front and rear battery. That way, when I turn the vehicle off and flip the switch, the batteries aren't pushing/pulling charge back and forth.
Quote 0 0
Nevadaguy
Ok, I went ahead and did what you said in terms of the grounds. It actually slightly increased the volume, but the headlights are still dimming a little. You think replacing the die hard up front with another optima yellow top might do the trick?
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy