Very
Quote 0 0
kenneth
you heard it from demuth
Quote 0 0
Bassphobia
Quote:
Originally posted by Maddog:
Well, I've been told that I don't need to break in my L7's ,but when I do burps with fresh subs not broken in yet, I tend to blow those subs out a lot faster.
Information below is copied directly from Kicker Solo-Baric L7's manual...

***Important Break-In Information***

"Every Solo-Baric L7 subwoofer is individually computer-tested before shipment to insure the highest performance standards possible. Like many precision machines, the Solo-Baric L7 requires a break-in period before it will reach optimum performance. When brand new, the L7-series high performance suspension system is very stiff. After approximately two weeks of daily usage, the suspension will loosen, or break-in, to a point of equilibrium. This time period may vary depending on the amount of play time, volume level, and type of music you listen to. More play time, with medium volume levels and more bass content, will break in the subwoofer most quickly. For those of you with more sophisticated audio equipment, the Solo-Barics can be broken-in on the test bench overnight with the following procedure:

Solo-Baric Freeair Break-In Procedure

1. Connect the speaker to a power amp of about fifty watts or more. The speaker should not be mounted in any enclosure - just freeair.

2. Connect an audio generator to the input of the power amp, and adjust the generator to approximatley 45Hz for the S8L7, 35Hz for the S10L7, 30Hz for the S12L7, and 20Hz for the S15L7.

3. Now adjust the gain on the amplifier and generator so that the cone is moving to Xmax. This can be determined visually by looking at the "blur depth" of the logo on the dustcap. A close approximation will do. On the S8L7 this will be about 3/4", on the S10L7 about 1", on the S12L7 about 1", and on the S15L7 about 1 1/4".

4. Operate the speakers in this manner for about eight hours. A quick break-in will give acceptable results in four hours, and a very thorough break-in would be closer to 16 hours.

NOTE: Keep in mind that as the speaker is used under normal conditions the break-in will continue, so if you don't have time for the complete break-in period the speaker will still break-in itself under normal usage."
Quote 0 0
kenneth
thats the break in im talking about. i wont take my chances, i always take it easy on the subs giving them some lows at low volumes for awhile.
Quote 0 0
AudioAnonymous
Balls to the wall from the first drop-in.
Quote 0 0
Bassphobia
Quote:
Originally posted by AudioAnonymous:
That might be better if you're a competitor because a stiffer suspension means it can take extra power before bottoming out, assuming the coil itself can handle the current. The trade-off is life expectancy but that shouldn't matter if you're a competitor and have recones stockpiled
Quote 0 0
Maddog
I don't know what kicker book you found that break in information in because its not in the new manuals.
Quote 0 0
AudioAnonymous
Quote:
Originally posted by Bassphobia:
Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AudioAnonymous:
That might be better if you're a competitor because a stiffer suspension means it can take extra power before bottoming out, assuming the coil itself can handle the current. The trade-off is life expectancy but that shouldn't matter if you're a competitor and have recones stockpiled
I never blew a woofer yet in the 5 years I have competed. :::knock on wood:::
Quote 0 0
Token Black Guy
good info in this thread so the question still remains, I think it's just up to the owner of the sub(s) to break in or not break in hahahaha

like to be or not to be that is the question......
Quote 0 0
murilo
a good testing session with new subs is normally enough for breaking in before a full tilt burp, for instance, 10-15 burps from low to medium-high power.
Quote 0 0
splfrek
screw it! a new sub has always been louder for me.waaannng
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy