jamesws Show full post »
diamond
you have way more than a 6" differnce in your path lenght from side to side using kicks.kinda confused.lol.i thought 11"+ was the pathlength differnce now.wasnt the difference 20 something using door holes doors.totally unusable for imaging properly.11 is much better but is not optimum either.probably more than enough to make us pull your hair out though.your backs kinda against a wall in that respect without seriouse mods..tonal accuracy is another story,if you choose to compete.score's are devided up between different aspects of your system.kinda a give and take deal at times,lol.or will we be lucky?
sounds like your keepin busy,woot!
Quote 0 0
jamesws
Ok I screwd up, here it is... 15 is the diff. in kicks

21 is the diff. in doors.

So got 6 inches closer pathlength by putting in the kicks
Quote 0 0
Andy Jones
I've read that a couple of times. Wow. I can tell you without a doubt--it's wrong. I've had speakers in my doors and in my kicks---there is a difference. I can also hear a .1ms change in time alignment. I know this because I often make tiny changes like that.

Going from the doors to the kicks in my f150 made all the difference in the world. But to do that I also cut a hole through the floor. You can't just build some tiny sealed enclosure in the floor and expect to have SQ. You need to make sure they have enough airspace.

I know you mentioned cutting the door panel--I would not do that unless you have a very high level of fabrication skills and can make it look very good. Otherwise you will either be spending A LOT of money when you get rid of the truck to replace the panels, or you will have lowered the value of your truck by making it look like ass.

The doors in that truck are a horrendous place to have a speaker. I would avoid it at all costs.
Quote 0 0
jamesws
Thanks Andy . I do want to put mids in the kicks. I was looking and it seems they could be vented out the square hole, probably enlarge and make a plate over it was my initial idea. if I get mids that have a high total Q, say .6 and vented them out, do you think that would work. Did u cut a hole in the floor for air space or installation?
Thanks again,
Quote 0 0
Andy Jones
Hole in the floor was for airspace.

You are going to have to do a lot of work higher up on the kickpanel to vent through that small square hole.

The wire for the door goes through there--so you have an air leak there that needs to be fixed. Above that is some thin metal that resonantes quite badly---you are going to have to fix that.

it is doable, but it is more than just screwing a baffle to the metal and calling it a day.

I cut a 4" hole through the floor. That works nicely for me.
Quote 0 0
diamond
hey jimbo,having sound vent into cabin is like having another point source basically adding sound and reflections,yada,yada,yada.i need to enlarge my whole as a matter of fact,lol.a little shy,dont tell know one.hehe.great stuff andy.K+
s.q is very involved.really isnt any shortcuts.inless your running a cheater amp the judge dont know about,lol.
Quote 0 0
jamesws
Andy, I was wondering if you could show me a pick of your kicks in the ford to give me an idea, thanks

James
Quote 0 0
diamond
what jim wonders is if you cut the hole in the upslope on the outside of cubby where the floor tilts up next to side of floor and built out a bit..
you gotta take off the electronics and look inside jimbo.
or in the cubby inside the hole where the electronics are.thats how mine is.sealed in vented thru floor.4 inch hole,did you use a variovent for a hole that big?
Quote 0 0
jamesws
I meant venting into body cavity, area behind electronics and wires
Quote 0 0
diamond
you take those elecronics out yet to see whats up in there.your on your own now you know dont you..hey,dont post while you wait.youll be called a troll for waiting for answers.lol.rest is on you jim.good luck with your build.im outta here..d
Quote 0 0
jamesws
No, have not pulled yet. Been applying B-quiet for a while, all done now. Probably pull electronics Friday and see whats up.
Quote 0 0
puertorro
Hi, go with Morel Integra Ovation XO Point Source. You can use 6.5 in kick panels and a mid woofer in doors. Or 4.0 in pillars and the mid woofer in doors or sealed kick panels. When use mid woofers in doors remember choose one for free air applications. always see parameters, high QTS and high QES. In sealed kick panels use low QTS and low QES applications. Always use the 70 percent or more amp-power than the speaker recomend. Be sure that the amp produce clean power. ZAPCO IS GREAT.
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy