Exile son of Exodus Show full post »
TeamSubGoPoof
Quote:
Originally posted by thanosdbfan:
Try it and you will see the difference!
Why though?

If you have 200 amp alternator, why do you need 8 runs of wire to carry that 200 amps?
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
even good 1/0ga wire is rated to drop 0.5V over a 15' run when passing 200A
Quote 0 0
sensai
This is a good thread. I wish Scottie would jump in and give his .02
Quote 0 0
TeamSubGoPoof
Quote:
Originally posted by D-Bass:
So if you have 2 runs then thats all you would need of the alt. Not 8 runs

Also I remember somebody telling me that its not a good idea to have 2 I-rings on an alt because it can burn it up faster or something?

I don't remember if Steve or Scottie or somebody else told me that?
Quote 0 0
Exile son of Exodus
Quote:
Originally posted by TeamSubGoPoof:
Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by D-Bass:
So if you have 2 runs then thats all you would need of the alt. Not 8 runs

Also I remember somebody telling me that its not a good idea to have 2 I-rings on an alt because it can burn it up faster or something?

I don't remember if Steve or Scottie or somebody else told me that?
So something like the stinger SPT5201 dual 1/0 guage connector would be ok? It has a single I-ring. 2 runs from the alt and 3 runs from the main batt to the bank? This is what I was plaining to do, would this work ok?
Quote 0 0
bland1
The only way having 2 rings on the alt can burn up would be if they were loose. Same thing with battery connectors. If they're loose they heat up very quick.

On most vehicles the connection from the alt to the front battery is very short, so a single 0 gauge wire should be enough even for the big high amp alts.
Quote 0 0
Sinister-David
http://www.stealth316.com/2-wire-resistance.htm

[ 06-06-2010, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Sinister-David ]
Quote 0 0
PeteS
Run a wire to each battery and see for your self if it didn't make a difrence then you didn't need any more power. I have yet to see 1 or 2 runs of wire to a battery bank be even close to being efficient. All's keep in mind that temp will increase a wires restiance and reduice the amount o current it can carry. Who cares about voltage if your only able to carry 50 amps.
Quote 0 0
TeamSubGoPoof
Quote:
Originally posted by PeteS:
Run a wire to each battery and see for your self if it didn't make a difrence then you didn't need any more power. I have yet to see 1 or 2 runs of wire to a battery bank be even close to being efficient. All's keep in mind that temp will increase a wires restiance and reduice the amount o current it can carry. Who cares about voltage if your only able to carry 50 amps.
Here is what I do know....

In Cooks van we had 1 run of 0 gauge from an ohio gen alt up front to 60 batteries in the back....it charged just fine with over 16k amps of current draw with voltage not dropping below 16.8 from 17.9

I just don't see how anyone thinks that you need 8 runs of wire to carry 300 amps.

Would you run 8 runs from your batteries to a single Memphis 4k that has a single 0 gauge input?

I had 8 runs of wire in my old Silverado but that was because of the storage capacity of the wire in a street max install. It wasn't to charge that single back battery more efficiently lol
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy