dm_2008_d
Hi, i need some help with how to wire my sub. I have a 15" jbl gti i was told its like 800w rms and 5000w max. Im running it with a rockford fosgate punch p550.2 ... and according to the birth sheet it said that it dose around 2200w max at 2oh, and around 1000w rms. i also have 2 legacy 1.7 farad caps and all tsunami 4g wiring.

My problem is that i hooked up the sub at 3oh and briged the amp, and have been playing it for about two months and thought i was passed the brake in period and then one day it started smelling like burned but didnt burn.

is the amp too strong..? or maybe the ohms are wrong..? or could i still be in the break in period..? can anyone help me!! thanks.
Quote 0 0
So_Lo_Saturn
that R-F amp is overrated. I know because I have a 650.2 & it has a 30 amp fuse. My amp is only 300 watts because I have a blaupunkt V250 with the same size fuse and it does 300 watts. You shouldn't have a problem running that sub at 3 ohm mono. Your setup sounds fine did the amp clip or get extremely hot? Having the gain turned up passed halfway will cause the amp to clip faster. If the amp clips it will send dc to the sub and cause it to smoke.
Quote 0 0
dm_2008_d
what dose it mean when it clips? and the amp dosent really heat up were i have it mounted. also i do have the gain all the way up most of the time. maybe i was just pushing the sub too hard? thanks for helping me out.
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
Simply put, clipping is when you are overdriving the amplifier. The gain on the amp is not a volume knob, it is meant to match the gain to the signal level coming from the radio.
In my experience, the gain on an amp is usually set between the 11o'clock and 2o'clock position. This can vary with each and every system...but I've never done a daily driving system for which the gain was all the way up.
So yeah, you probably clipped the hell out of the signal, which can heat up a voicecoil 4x faster than more clean power would
Quote 0 0
dm_2008_d
i knew i had to be doing something wrong. i will definitely mess with the gain to get it right, hopefully i haven't done any damage to the system already. thanks for your help i really appreciate it.
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy