2000LaDe
ok to start i have an 87 astro with a 4.3L

i am wondering if anyone knows where to set the timing on this thing? changed the distributor on it and we cannot seem to get it running right. We have it idling great it seems but when u drop it into drive or reverse it just pukes and shuts off. eventually we can get it moving but when i try to take off in drive it backfires like crazy but will idle down the road. put it in 1st and drive its fine go into 2nd its fine but when i put it into drive it starts backfiring again. we have been trying to figure out why it keeps puking on it and shutting off when u put it in gear and try to take off since SBN. it will idle strong all day but cant get it to stop choking itself out. its running super rich too. changed all plugs, wires, button, cap, distributor,O2 sensor, egr valve and i think the MAP sensor or something. still cant seem to get it running worth a dam other than idling

HELP NEEDED or wanted if u lived close
Quote 0 0
bassjunkie
I also have a 4.3L in a 1 Blazer. Mine has electronic timing(stupid). You have to find a wire hidden inside your vehicle to do it manually. I have never found mine yet. Good luck.
Quote 0 0
2000LaDe
i have adjusted the distributer to 4 degrees as my timing i just dont know if its right. i took it to 0 degree's and it shut off on me i just wonder where it should actually be timed. i have a timing light.
Quote 0 0
screechie
Did you try moving the dist. to advance or retard? if you did pull the map sensor out while the engine is running and see if there is vacuum present, I am not sure if that model uses maf sensor if it does make sure the wire is properly pluged in and that no air leaks thru the hose connecting it to the intake manifold.
Quote 0 0
2000LaDe
im thinkin it might be a maf sensor i dont remember. i wasnt the one that did it. i do need to take it somewhere to check all the vacume lines. ever personal mechanic i know are honda guys and they cant really help me much. im tryin to learn motors myself but im clueless. its almost came down to just buying a 350 and dropping it in.
Quote 0 0
The Repo Man
To set the timing on that van you have to unplug the tan/brown wire to put the computer in idle.

Also could be the wires are out of order.

Firing order is 1,6,5,4,3,2.

1,3,5 are on the driver side.
Quote 0 0
2000LaDe
got on alldata and it says it should be set at 0
Quote 0 0
2000LaDe
maybe thats my problem i had the wires plugged in. ill try that. im just narrowing things down hoping i dont have to tear the motor apart.
Quote 0 0
2000LaDe
and yah i have the firing order right. just might have adjusted the timing wrong then. so im gonna try that. just a pain in the ass. i kinda only need it to drive well to get it on a trailer but id still like to be able to drive it without any problems.
Quote 0 0
The Repo Man
Unplug the tan wire and the ses light will flash then set the timing.
Quote 0 0
bassjunkie
Quote:
Originally posted by The Repo Man:
Where's this tan wire on a 1991 S10 blazer?? Still have yet to see it.
Quote 0 0
Loudcav
Quote:
Originally posted by bassjunkie:
Quote:
quote:
http://www.alldatadiy.com well worth the price you will pay
Quote 0 0
The Repo Man
Quote:
Originally posted by bassjunkie:
Quote:
quote:
It's the ground wire for the ecm, passenger side kick or firewall.
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy