Spooney
Looking for an oldschooler who might remember these amps. I picked one up the other day for a very good price and I'm trying to remember what the mod was that earthquake was doing to these amps. I think it had something to do with making them more stable into lower impedance loads. I seem to remember an earthquake tech one year at finals soldering some additional rail caps into one of my d2's but i'm not sure if that was the extent of the modification. Anybody with any insight or internal pics of an old d2 I would love to hear from you.
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
i've got two versions of the D2 sitting over at my brother's house. One with the black case. One with the dark grey case. Neither was ever modified. I don't have any internal pics.

here's a link to some...
http://forum.realmofexcursion.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=674
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
it looks like the difference was mainly the heatsinks. maybe the black ones had the fets angle mounted? just based on the pics
Quote 0 0
Spooney
fets were angle mounted on both versions. i believe early versions of the d200hc didn't have as many fets as the later versions made right before the phd2. the model i have looks identical to any d2 i've ever seen. just as many parts in all the same places and even the same fets i believe. i know there was some sort of mod. i just have to find pics. i believe my buddy may have one of my old modded ones still. i will try to get a hold of him and snap some pics
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
There was a guy name Timmy from Gainesville, FL who had 8 modded D2's in his Astro. They gray ones. My brother got his 2nd one from one of timmy's other vehicles, unmodded. I saw timmy post on here about 6-8months ago. Not sure if he ever checks in. Maybe someone knows his screen name.
If not, maybe Jim Myrick would know how to get ahold of him
Quote 0 0
Spooney
got a hold of my friend. if he wasnt being lazy i'd have a pic already but i'll have to wait i guess.i'm ready to slap this amp back together but i wanna do the mod first
Quote 0 0
loud tercell
The guy that was modding the amps at finals we called him fetty.The mods you are talking about are upgraded fets 40no10 and 80no10 where changed to 50no10 and 100no10 and some diodes piggy backed on 1 of the chips. Sorry cant remember more at 1 time myself and Team 20HZ had 40 plus moded d2s and team underground had 26. Maybe if i have time i will go get 1 from storage open it and take pics for you.
Quote 0 0
Spooney
that would be awesome and i remember fetty( i think his real name was fady?). Thats some great info. I have a pic of the diodes piggy backed on one of the chips and the fets would be easy enough to source and change. do you know if they changed the gate resistors when they swapped the fets?the amp i have already has some slightly higher rated fets than the originals(75 amp rated instead of 70 amp in the power supply) but i think it was due to a previous repair and not so much an upgrade. if you ever got a chance to get those pics i would be most grateful.
Quote 0 0
loud tercell
I think i still have a couple sticks of fets for the amps i will have to look and yes i will send the pic as soon as i can.
Quote 0 0
Street Dreams CC
2003 D2 modded pics aint the best

Quote 0 0
Street Dreams CC

Quote 0 0
Street Dreams CC
2002 and older Black D2s

Quote 0 0
Street Dreams CC

Quote 0 0
Spooney
Awesome work on the pics. Do you know if the fets were changed with those mods? If so did any of the gate resistors need to be changed as well?
Quote 0 0
Spooney
looking better at the pics it looks as if these models had nicer fets anyways.

[ 12-28-2009, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Spooney ]
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy