THE-SCRAPER Show full post »
Iconoclast
nah, not NASA stuff. it's just some basics of statistical analysis, the equiv of basic geometry or basic algebra. It's just that most people have never taken a statistics course (though I highly recommend everyone who hasn't to take one).

Statistical analysis (mostly with SPSS and Minitab) is a major part of my field. I still love the subject, but it has its downsides. For example, it is actually pretty hard to not analyze everything like that now.

I'll add something to my last post, though. The numbers that you posted don't rule out that teams with better relative defense have a significant advantage in single-possession OT's. That being said, I don't see any reason why a 2-possession OT would be any less advantageous for teams with superior defense if your assumption about defense is correct.
Quote 0 0
Broken Silence - Johnny
statistics > scraper
/story
Quote 0 0
THE-SCRAPER
Statistics prove that the coin toss winner doesn't really have an advantage.
good offense -bad defense -bad offense -good defense ,, is the bottom line ,,point made.
Quote 0 0
Broken Silence - Johnny
If two teams are tied at the end of regulation, that usually means they are pretty equal.
Quote 0 0
HCCAfan
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/NFL-owners-pass-new-overtime-change-by-overwhelm?urn=nfl,229797

While some assumed that the results of the NFC Championship game, in which the New Orleans Saints beat the Minnesota Vikings with an overtime field goal and thus denied Brett Favre(notes) his "rightful" Super Bowl berth, the Vikings were one of four teams to actually vote against the change.

good article.
Quote 0 0
THE-SCRAPER
Quote:
Originally posted by HCCAfan:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/NFL-owners-pass-new-overtime-change-by-overwhelm?urn=nfl,229797

While some assumed that the results of the NFC Championship game, in which the New Orleans Saints beat the Minnesota Vikings with an overtime field goal and thus denied Brett Favre(notes) his "rightful" Super Bowl berth, the Vikings were one of four teams to actually vote against the change.

good article.
The viking's turnovers denied the team a superbowl berth.
Quote 0 0
HCCAfan
sure did. and i am happy that they are against the decision to change the rules, shows class.
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy