mannynj2k2max Show full post »
Andy Jones
^Very nice.

I do have to ask---drywall screws for the midbass?
Quote 0 0
mannynj2k2max
Thanks to winslow always emphasizing the issue/importance of PLD's... I spent the holidays with my tweeters in the kicks and thus found a new home.
I sure dont know why i danced around and neglected the idea before, perhaps as I've been using door/pillar mounted tweeters for many years. Turns out this configuration lends me the absolute best overall sounstage. Best depth and cymbals actually sound as if the come from behind the vocals on the stage. The angles on the midranges maintain the center image above dash and center (even without t/a), and is not dragged around by the sources of sibilance(tweets). It certainly gives you throughout the volume range a reminder that you are the listener, and the stage is in front of you. I was able to do this with the a-pillar mount, yet the louder volumes would immerse you and find its way to move the stage toward your lap- in this arrangement not the case. I also feell i may not need much EQ, several peaks have seemingly already dissappeared and it sound like quite a flat presentation as is. I certainly was not going to paint the tweeters, so i painted/clearcoated the 4" grills instead to match them. I have the alum trim/ black interior two tone theme going on so i feel they look in place and like'm this way. What i need now is some contact cement so that i can vynil wrap the kicks to match the oem grain trim.
Certainly tuning is a whole diff beast now in terms of crossover points (vs ones i used before with drivers spread out) but the pathlength differences are much more favorable now and should lead to less of a processed sound , less reflection issues , etc..once i'm done tinkering.
Quote 0 0
mannynj2k2max
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Jones:
^Very nice.

I do have to ask---drywall screws for the midbass?
hehe...that was an old pic, just havent gotten around to removing the door panels to take pics.
They actually are on new baffles,another layer of mat, and no mo drywall screws..hehe. I just got the new door panels on, so they need a little love. Sucks because my old ones were pretty DEAD, but have a hole where the tweets were mounted last year.

So I have a list of a few things i have to resolve from here to SVR. A little TLC, some more dampening, never ends hehe...
Quote 0 0
Notloudenuf
LOVE the new amps. How do they compare to all the other high end amps you've had in there?
Quote 0 0
TeamSubGoPoof
i always wanna do an sq setup when i see pics like these...

Darn Sq'ers making me jealous whats the world coming to! lol

Looks awesome man GREAT installs when I go pick up my Excursion I might have to let Andy hook it up for me
Quote 0 0
winslow
Looks great!

Am I really that bad with PLDs? Glad someone was listening.
Quote 0 0
mannynj2k2max
Thank you fellas.

I'm pretty stoked as its all been done with my own two hands, down to the box i fabbed. The kicks I actually did not glass, but used my own resources at my business. I cut a cheesewedge of foam for both OEM kicks and mounted the 4's, spining that wedge around for weeks until i felt i could achieve the best center image from both seats (drivers side still the most optimal) without T/A/. When i found their spot i used light cure acrylic that i use for my detal laboratory uses and wrapped it. The material is very pliable and easily contoured in its natural state. Pop it in the sunlight for ~ 5 minutes and its rock hard, ODORLESS. Removed the foam from the inside of the kick, threw in and caulked in the baffle. Dumped a full can of Cascade VB1SPRO Quiet Kote on the inside to further seal in everything and provide a more dead baffle. And it was ready to wrap, no major sanding, just a few edges touched up my the dremmel.

Again nothing fancy, but came out pretty darn clean and uses the fitment of the OEM trim piece.

As far as the tweeter, its just flush mounted. But i do have an angle mount I may just use if it helps to get a better angle.
Quote 0 0
Cinco5
Quote:
Originally posted by mannynj2k2max:
Thank you fellas.

I'm pretty stoked as its all been done with my own two hands, down to the box i fabbed. The kicks I actually did not glass, but used my own resources at my business. I cut a cheesewedge of foam for both OEM kicks and mounted the 4's, spining that wedge around for weeks until i felt i could achieve the best center image from both seats (drivers side still the most optimal) without T/A/. When i found their spot i used light cure acrylic that i use for my detal laboratory uses and wrapped it. The material is very pliable and easily contoured in its natural state. Pop it in the sunlight for ~ 5 minutes and its rock hard, ODORLESS. Removed the foam from the inside of the kick, threw in and caulked in the baffle. Dumped a full can of Cascade VB1SPRO Quiet Kote on the inside to further seal in everything and provide a more dead baffle. And it was ready to wrap, no major sanding, just a few edges touched up my the dremmel.

Again nothing fancy, but came out pretty darn clean and uses the fitment of the OEM trim piece.

As far as the tweeter, its just flush mounted. But i do have an angle mount I may just use if it helps to get a better angle.
very interesting construction on those. This is like the 3rd time this week sombody has mentioned dental/medical acrylic to me, all of which for different applications. I think I'll need to get some and see what I can do with it.
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy