bassjunkie Show full post »
windowtinter
as long as it the right recone for the sub then your golden you will need glue but other than that your good.the dusst cap is the last thing to go on that stays off until the end so you can get to the shims that center the voice coil and remove them before gluing the dust cap down.
Quote 0 0
Sinister-David
are there like pre made shims u can buy some where so u know u got the right tickness needed? if so someone have a link?
Quote 0 0
bassjunkie
I am still confused as to what the shim is for. It's to line up the v.c. to what????
Quote 0 0
Master Yoda
The coil slides over the center pole on the motor use the shims to have the correct and even space all the way around between the pole and the inside of the voice coils if this is not done correctly it will cuase the voice coil to rub on the motor and wear a chunk out of the voice coil! ( That is bad!)
Quote 0 0
bassjunkie
Don't u pull the shims out after glueing?? Basically it's to line stuff up eavenly then til gluie dries right??
Quote 0 0
Master Yoda
That would be correct. make sure to remove them before glueing on the dust cap as they will be under that! good luck and post some pics for us!
Quote 0 0
xfl
what glue are you going to use?
Quote 0 0
bassjunkie
I have some duco cement. Will that work?? From what it says on the container, seems like it will work fine.
Quote 0 0
pimpin at my house
if you dont have any loctite blackmaxx go to ur local hardware store and pick up 3 glues for a recone.
gorilla super glue it is rubber toughened and works great. this is for gluing spiders together,spiders to basket,cone to former.

next is goop this is the best for foam surrond to basket and dust cap to cone.

last 5 min epoxy you mix up 3/4oz and puddle around the top of the cone to the former joint...
Quote 0 0
bassjunkie
My duco cement won't work then???
Quote 0 0
Thorshammer
I'm not sure on the duco cement but heres a few pics I took a a recone I did today.

Hope these help. I did the direct leads myself, used ca glue and rubber cement for the rest of the woofer.
Quote 0 0
windowtinter
thor what are you using for the spacer there is that from rusty cuz you do so many recones?but i do see a lvl5 motor waiting for a new frame
Quote 0 0
Thorshammer
The spacer you see is 6 milar shims. 4 thick 2 thin.

And yes my babies are preped and waiting some new baskets and Jewelry.

Next to a lvl 4xl it looks huge.

Quote 0 0
bassjunkie
nice!!
Quote 0 0
windowtinter
wow thought that was the 5 next to a 4 guess it is a big increase in the two
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy