SomeDonnieDude
I'm new to the spl side of audio, and am wondering why some people recommend small boxes for spl and others recommend large? I always though larger boxes were more efficient, and small boxes were only done to compensate for power handling when feeding a driver large amounts of power?

Can anyone throw me a bone here?
Quote 0 0
SomeDonnieDude
anyone?

I see lots of guy do ~3cf for a single 15". For example Atomic (since I have an apx) recommends 6cf for their 15" apx. I know the best answer would be just to build it then see what happens, but I didn't know if there was a theory behind it?
Quote 0 0
AQIntrepid
Well... you have the right idea man. It all depends on power applied to the sub. If you are in a class that you are limited to low power then I would build a more efficient box to take advantage of every watt available. If you will be pouring it on then go smaller to help the subs power handling capabilities.

In the class I am in I can only clamp 2000 watts rms. I am using a single 15 and my box is really close to 5 cubes. It works well. If I was going for all out spl and had a ton of power to use the box would probably be smaller.
Quote 0 0
avaryj
I tried a large box with 4 18's and it pounded but I was not impressed at all on the TL.
Quote 0 0
avaryj
I would definitely go smaller. Doing 8 15's now off 12k. The box will not be big to compensate the power. I should get good numbers on the TL.
Quote 0 0
Gavin
Remember bro, what sounds good to the ear may not sound good to the mike and visa versa! ya know what I mean?
Quote 0 0
Sinister-David
if 8 15's don't sound good on the mic and to the ear dam something is major wrong
Quote 0 0
tekk45
Its not that a small box is better per say. The answer here is that you start large then shrink and retune the box so it plays the peak note in your car for maximum SPL only. These tuned boxes for SPL are terrible for music. If you want full range music with maximum SPL, you need cone area and power, plain and simple. I have recently put up several posts regarding this issue. Just search my recent posts and you will find more information.

Team Neo - Eric
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy