casperskafs
My friend has an older power acoustik 2 channel 1200 watt amp (can't even find a pic anywhere)it lights up blue if that helps with 2 12 inch alpine type r Dual 4's. We built a custom box to fit in his camero but its not the greatest by no means. We put 2 4' aero ports in it and I have no clue what its tuned to. The problem is when he turns his amp on or off his subs flinch. Hope you understand what I mean by flinch. We first wired the amp to 1 ohm and I thought that might be the problem cause I forgot the amp is prolly only 2 ohm stable. Next we wired the subs up to 4 ohm and still the same thing so then we hooked up only one sub 4 ohms with amp not bridged and still the same thing. Its a lot worse the higher the gain. If the gain is high when he turns his amp on its like the subs are gonna blow they flinch so hard. Wish I could put it a better way sorry. How can we stop this? Is the amp bad? It worked fine with 2 12 inch kenwood typhoons in their own sealed boxes but when we installed the alpines in the custom box this happened.

Any help is appreciated. I'm trying to get my friend into competition with me but this is kinda frustrating him and me.
Quote 0 0
18inchjeepin
turn on/off pop used to be a problem on older amps, is it on a switch or just the HU remote wire?
Quote 0 0
PeteS
Unplug the RCA's and test it if the problem is gone its a shielding issue in the RCA's or possibly a head unit grounding issue. I have this issue in my van with some radios or if the RCA's cross the remote wire.
Quote 0 0
casperskafs
Quote:
Originally posted by 18inchjeepin:
turn on/off pop used to be a problem on older amps, is it on a switch or just the HU remote wire?
The remote wire is ran to a switch
Quote 0 0
casperskafs
Quote:
Originally posted by PeteS:
Unplug the RCA's and test it if the problem is gone its a shielding issue in the RCA's or possibly a head unit grounding issue. I have this issue in my van with some radios or if the RCA's cross the remote wire.
I'll try the rca trick and see what happens. Thanks for the info. I still dont understand how this problem never happened til we switched subs and box?
Quote 0 0
PeteS
Quote:
Originally posted by casperskafs:
Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PeteS:
Unplug the RCA's and test it if the problem is gone its a shielding issue in the RCA's or possibly a head unit grounding issue. I have this issue in my van with some radios or if the RCA's cross the remote wire.
I'll try the rca trick and see what happens. Thanks for the info. I still dont understand how this problem never happened til we switched subs and box?
Then check for wires crossing each other maybe a power/remote wire crossing a rca or a speaker lead output crossing other wires some where
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
it may be that in a sealed box the subs couldn't move nearly as much and did it slower...especially if the box was very well sealed.
In a ported box where the subs move more freely, no pressure/pull against the pop to stop it.
Quote 0 0
casperskafs
Quote:
Originally posted by D-Bass:
it may be that in a sealed box the subs couldn't move nearly as much and did it slower...especially if the box was very well sealed.
In a ported box where the subs move more freely, no pressure/pull against the pop to stop it.
Makes sense D-Bass. I never thought about that. Thanks for the info
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy