stang em
I WOULD LIKE TO GET SOME WORDS OF ADVICE ON DOING A SUBS UP PORT BACK ENCLOSURE FOR MY 92 5.0 GT. MOST OF MY BOXES HAVE BEEN SUBS UP PORT FIRING TOWARDS DRIVERS SIDE OF CAR. IVE DONE THAT BEACAUSE I THOUGHT THAT THE PORT NEEDS TO BE A CERTAIN DISTANCE FROM A BODY PANEL. bUT AS I THINK ABOUT SYSTEMS IVE SEEN AND HEARD AT COMPS MOST DO SUBS UP PORT BACK AND THEIR PORTS BE KINDA CLOSE TO THE TRIM PANELS. MY LAST BOX WITH PORT TO SIDE WAS 7.2CUFT WITH LIKE 105SQIN OR SO OF PORT FIRING TOWARDS DRIVERS SIDE. THATS BOX WAS SAME DESIGN AS PREVIOUS BOXES IT WAS JUST ALITTLE SLANTED WITH THE HATCH AND HAD BIGGER PORT THAN B4. SO I THINK THAT THE BEST WAY TO SEE IF FIRING PORT TO BACK IS BETTER FOR ME I SHOULD KEEP BOX'S CUFT AND PORT SIZE THE SAME AS THE LAST BOX SO THAT WAY THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE PORT FIRING DIRECTION. DO YOU THINK THIS IS A GOOD START? I USE SLOT PORTS CAUSE IT WORKS FOR ME AND HELPS FOR GOOD PORT WARS AND SUPER PORT WARS SCORES. AND THIS IS FOR A DAILY DRIVER THAT DOES BASSRACE AND DRAG ON WEEKENDS. BUT ITLL BE TUNED TO 35HZ AND WHATEVER IT HITS IN DRAG IS WHAT IT HITS. MORE WORRIED ABOUT BASSRACE. ANY ADVICE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
Quote 0 0
AmmoJammo
I'm not reading a post thats all in capitals.
Quote 0 0
So_Lo_Saturn
Just do subs up ports to the back. It's a crx box since u have a hatchback. As far as the box from the back the port diameter should be the minimum. So if u have 4" ports the ports should be 4" from the taillights. Im not sure not slit ports though. I have a 98 mustang so I couldn't help u with boxes for getting loud.
Quote 0 0
stang em
Yeah I dont know what the rule of thumb is for distance away from a surface for slot ports. But from what Ive seen its only 3 to 5 inches away from a surface no matter what port size now that i think about it.
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
if your port opening is 14" wide, and 3"tall...then keep the port at least 3" away from the closest barrier.
Quote 0 0
stang em
My last port was 10 x 11. So would that mean Id have to have the port 10 inches away? Essentially it was. The port was dumping to the side in that extra space u get before the tire humps.
Quote 0 0
stang em
I havent really seen too many hatchbacks with small slanted cargo area like my stang have ports firing back towards taillights. Most people that do r the ones with more rectangular shaped cabin and cargo area. My hatch is like a 45 degree triangular shape. I know that part of my problem is actual space. If i was going with 10s or 12s Id have a smaller box than the 15s and thus gain more useable space. Sometimes I wonder if its just the positioning? Thats why I'm down to try subs up port back technique.
Quote 0 0
dkmst23
areoport will work better
Quote 0 0
stang em
I just went with subs up slanted parallel with hatch glass and single slot port dumping to the drivers side. Also got 2 AQ hd3 15s. They are still in break in process but they seem to be getting louder than my mtx 7500 15s. Ive been messing around with the different components that I have and trying to get em louder. My next date with a meter is the Audio Werks comp in fairfield on the 26th. All I can do is see if my score has gone up since the last comp I went to last month. I know that going by ear is not accurate at all on guessing if its gotten louder. But it does sound louder to my ears and things seem to shake harder and Im at same tunning freq. I think next yr I need to get a meter for income tax time. Thatd make a nice stocking stuffer or Fathers Day gift but its not cheap so Ill have to get it myself.
Quote 0 0
stang em
And I dont have enough room to do aeros that stick out box. I guess I couldve went with aeros firing towards driver side. But I dont have a clue how people calculating the tuning freq of those things. Sounds like ud need a meter to tune the ports properly
Quote 0 0
ktraughb2
you can use all sorts of calculators to find the tuning for aero ports. btw, pay no attention to the distance rule for port diameter to be away from a panel. it was always thought to be a guideline, but i have teammates who use 10" aeros only a couple inches away from their panels and gain/ it will depend on your testing. the best way to fine tune an aero is to start long and cut to find a peak. once you no longer peak, replace with the length you peaked at.
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy