murilo
Hi,

During this SBN I was measuring some stuff, so here is something that was new for me:

The ALPINE radio mute fade is actually made of pre-set steps, in the example picture the output voltage of an SD12kD was monitored, we have there a 0dB burping volume at volume 20 (if I can recall correctly) and you can see 5 steps, each of those steps are actual volume levels, like volume 3, 5, 10, 15 and then 20.
Quote 0 0
john-hone
very interesting. we always use the alpine desk for this mute roll. always seen a gain from it.
Quote 0 0
screechie
I did the exact same test on my oscope, each increment is somewhere around 245 ms apart, very good for burps on over loaded amps.
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
I'd like to see this done using a Kenwood deck. Unpausing, then UN-attenuating.
Quote 0 0
murilo
This is bad, the potentiometer remains the best thing to use.
Quote 0 0
screechie
Quote:
Originally posted by murilo@soundigital.com.br:
This is bad, the potentiometer remains the best thing to use.
The Alpine mute roll up is just like a potentiometer, only the roll up is automatic, just like an automatic tranny vs a manual, that is imho, btw, why do you think it is bad?
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
because it's in 5 steps, rather than a smooth slope
Quote 0 0
dB Don
Its like alot of smaller burps leading up the the final volume, some amplifiers will see increments and if its pushed hard enough will protect alot sooner than potentiometer.

As Murilio has mentioned before and I agree, try to use an analog volume.
Quote 0 0
clkwrkorg36
i think it's more of a sd/alpine issue. most other amps don't have that problem.
Quote 0 0
murilo
Quote:
Originally posted by screechie:
Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by murilo@soundigital.com.br:
This is bad, the potentiometer remains the best thing to use.
The Alpine mute roll up is just like a potentiometer, only the roll up is automatic, just like an automatic tranny vs a manual, that is imho, btw, why do you think it is bad?
Hi, I've just shown that is not like a potentiometer, it is not a smooth voltage rise, but 5 preset steps.
Quote 0 0
murilo
Quote:
Originally posted by clkwrkorg36:
i think it's more of a sd/alpine issue. most other amps don't have that problem.
Most other amps cannot deliver the voltage on the load that SD amps can do... These are voltages where you can still see an SPL gain, despite clipping: SD12kD = 200Vrms, SD16kD 210Vrms on the load. (depending on the impedance, of course).
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy