Jerry and his 2012 Mazda 5
Since sound waves radiate outward in a linear fashion and I understand low frequency waves tend to pool in corners, Is there an SPL advantage in tube type enclosures? I have not ran into any box programs that simulate tubes...or what about cone type enclosures with possible small end porting into a tuned horn type of vent? Just wondering...
Quote 0 0
ShadowStar
1) SPL advantage, please search this forum and google quarter-wave tubes (or 1/4 wave tubes, etc.) It is a concept worth kicking around, but usually doesn't pan out working all that well.

2) Cone type enclosure with tuned horn type of vent

Is an approximate description of transmission lines and horns. If you are interested in horns, look into "tapped horn" or "tapped and folded horn", and "wicked one" for reading material and ideas. Horns are a top choice of professional sound reinforcement for a very, very good reason.

I'm still surprised I haven't seen tapped horns for trunks yet, not matter what D-bass says.

ShadowStar
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
part of it has to do with the size of the mouth open to the function of the air in the car. I have messed around with some different "horn", tapered,tapped, and TL's over the years. Some worked fine, but I found more standard designs to work better in the automotive environment.
Quote 0 0
I just wanted to get around to telling you guys thanks for the replies. Tube enclosures make good sense to me. The cone idea seemed interesting too. I have been doing some reading on horns and TL's, but I wasn't sure if they are being done in cars. I am a newbie since I never competed but I have been playing with stereos since the early 80's. My ventures have always been limited by funding, females and family, LOL!
Quote 0 0
MREZSTREET
I have done some tube enclosers. If you go ported out 1 side and sub on the other you will need to baffel the port. Mine unloaded to ez. I have done few wicked one enclosers. They were fun. I have the design for it if ya wanna try it out. Lots of work. I know a guy who had 2 memphis 15's in a folding horn in a civic hatch did well with it. It has a lot 2 do with cone area and fs of subs and the ride you are working with. Like d bass said, it can be a lot of work and not great outcome...but it CAN be real nice too. Ported is much safer on time/cost vs bass.... But thinking out side the box is fun. I sent lots of time and money on a folding horn load 4th order ( modled off wicked one) for a pair of 18's but I'd wat tuned way to high qnd couldn't hit any good #'s in my van.
Quote 0 0
john-hone
we did not use baffles in our tube encloser in our extreme van. the norm back in the day was 16 inches for a tube. ours were 22.5. we noticed a longer tube would load better. it also helped tune it. never had a loading issue. we have done several experimants with tubes.
Quote 0 0
I am considering a tube within a tube this way...Make your primary tube and factor its volume and length...Make a second tube to slide over the primary tube after playing with vent volume for the driver and primary enclosure...air volume forces from behind the driver, away from the speaker toward the end of the primary tube...hitting some type of conical splitter, forcing pressure out towards the perimeter where it routed between the primary and secondary enclosures as a periphrial port around the primary tube, exiting the front of both tubes parallel with the circumference of the drivers edge. Any thoughts about this design?
Quote 0 0
Soapbox
I have been using a tube enclosure in a street a application. For my particular install I used a 14" tube in which the front baffle is fixed. However the rear baffle is so tight it seals it's self with out being screwed or glued in any fashion; thus the total volume is adjustable. I also use an external 6" aero. The length of the primary tube max is 22.5 which is where I had my best tl score but the larger volume only worked for low power application. IE 2k on a single 12" sub. 148.6
Quote 0 0
teambrownnote
Jerry, your "tube within a tube" idea is interesting.. Kinda like Bazooka's design, but the entire outer tube as the port?
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy