ORION93
I am new to car audio. i read a thread that is talking about tuning amps with an Oscope. I am pritty good with electronics and have several Very old Oscopes. Can any one tell me a site that has instuctions on how to do this or can any one just tell me plz?
Quote 0 0
Gavin
Its not so hard, you connect the leads from your o-scope to your rca jacks if your trying to find out where your HU peaks at or to your speaker terminals on your amp if you want to see when its clipping. If your doing your HU,

1:make sure everything is flat / set to zero. no bass boost or any extra bing that makes your system sound better.

2:Insert a test tone CD, 50Hz~65Hz is the usual range used for testing. Your volume level is at its lowest.

3:start the test tone and have the HU set on repeat. start turning up the volume and check the wave, continue to turn the volume up until the wave starts to go square / clipping.

4:If clipping, turn the volume back down until the wave is round at its peak. check your HU volume level, note that volume number,now your one click from clipping your HU signal.

Amp:
Some people test with the subs loaded (subs connected), some don't (unloaded) that choice is yours.

1:make sure everything is flat / set to zero. no bass boost or any extra bing that makes your system sound better.

2:Insert a test tone CD, 50Hz~65Hz is the usual range used for testing. Your volume level is at its lowest.

3:insert your leads into the speaker terminals.
4: Your gains should be at their lowest point.
5: Play your HU at your max clean signal volume level.
6:Again, watch the wave, as the tone is playing begin to turn up your gain pot. continue turning it until the wave goes square, once that happen just turn it back a bit until its round again,after that disconnect your leads from the amp. your amp is now set.

If you did all this with you sub unloaded, turn your HU back to zero, turn off the system and reconnect your sub. Your system is now tuned to play at its best and not clip.

If I have explained anything wrong, I'm sure some one will jump in and correct me. but this is what I do for my system. You will also hear that a little clipping is ok if your doing comps, this is true, but the question is... what do you consider a little??? I'm sure there will be some replies behind this question.

Good luck!
Quote 0 0
ORION93
thank man
Quote 0 0
Gavin
anytime bro.
Quote 0 0
Noobtastic14
i would like to add a bit and explain how i do it with a DMM as well.

process for the HU is the same-

for the amp, play a tone 40-50hz at 0db at the predetermined level and repeat the process for setting the max clean signal

while playing at this level, note the output voltage on your amp

change the track to a 40-50hz tone at -10db and set HU at predetermined point. Then, adjust your gain to equal the output voltage you had at 0db

i do this because music is not as brutal as a sine wave so this is a calculated gain overlap to compensate. if you find yourself clipping to much on music you can repeat the process with a -5db tone, or if you want to be as safe as possible (sacrificing potential output) don't overlap and just set at 0db

-Drew
Quote 0 0
Loudcav
Ill add to what Gavin said not sure if hes noticed this on his handheld scope from PE but mine tends to show clipping by bowing out the middle of the wave
Quote 0 0
Noobtastic14
yeah my scope shows the clip towards the right of the apex- i have a vid in the other oscope topic showing the push to clipping and back
-Drew
Quote 0 0
Gavin
Quote:
Originally posted by Loudcav:
Ill add to what Gavin said not sure if hes noticed this on his handheld scope from PE but mine tends to show clipping by bowing out the middle of the wave
Loudcav, I never noticed that. I just basically look for that chopped mountain top!
Quote 0 0
BlackIce
Quote:
Originally posted by ORION93:
I am new to car audio. i read a thread that is talking about tuning amps with an Oscope. I am pritty good with electronics and have several Very old Oscopes. Can any one tell me a site that has instuctions on how to do this or can any one just tell me plz?
I know you already got your answer but...
http://decibelcar.com/index.php/menuelectro/50
Quote 0 0
Gavin
Nice pics, although I use a hand held O-scope, I get the same type sign waves.
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy