bassjunkie
I bought a 1977 dodge truck and the guy didn't have the keys for the door just ignitio. Is there a way i can get a key for this?
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
replace the lock cylinders. should be easy to change out. just order the part from advance auto parts. probably 20-30bucks. two new lock cylinders and keys.
should be able to change them out in an hour or two.
That's assuming the lock cylinder is not built into the handle itself.

But it's probably cheaper than hiring a locksmith to rekey them for you.
Quote 0 0
PHATRAX
Now is the time to use yours or a friends AAA membership!!
Quote 0 0
Bill Wolf
Just had a locksmith make a key for my Econoline. Took the key cylinder to him and it was 40 bucks.
Quote 0 0
David McLean
When that vehicle was made, the ignition matched the doors.
A big problem with those vehicles was wear to the pint that the tumblers "pins" in the lock begin to fold back instead up move up when trying to insert the key. So you see a lot of them that the key will not even go into the lock without a rocking motion with the key. Also some WD40 will work wonders in the locks.

So you might find that the ignition key actually does work, just the locks are in bad shape.

If you want to get a key cheap, and nothing is wrong with the lock(s), then you can remove a door cylinder (as mentioned) and call a few local locksmtith shops and see what they will charge to make a key. Remember to tell them that you do NOT want to change the lock to a new key, because that key should work the other door(s).

Other than that, just buy a set of locks (as mentioned)

30+ years locksmith here.
Quote 0 0
David McLean
Oh, and NEVER let AAA work on your locks!!! They are the WORST from a service company's perspective. Only wanna be's and hacks will work for there prices.

With AAA when you need a locksmith, they will usually send a wrecker driver. Because very few "real" locksmiths will work with them.
Quote 0 0
bassjunkie
For my Dodge, there was a key for the ignition and a key for the locks(doors). 1 was a round key and 1 was the shape of the dodge symbol back then.
Quote 0 0
D-Bass
My best friend Bret was a bonded locksmith in Gainesville,FL for a few years. He said to never use WD40 in a lock if it's going to be in cold weather. that it can tend to gum up the lock. He yelled at me when I said I was going to do it and told me to use special lube for locks.

and it will be cold in South Dakota. Down in florida it usually only hits freezing a couple nights a year.
Quote 0 0
bassjunkie
Oh yeh, it gets somewhat cold here!!
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy