Wayne Harris Show full post »
Wayne Harris
Hank Veach wrote:
challenge of getting as loud as u can on the least amount of power possible as well as cost effective.  

I have always wondered if a "kit class" would be successful. When my son was younger he was in Cub Scouts. I was a "Cub Master". We would have an annual "Pine Wood Derby" competition. The scouts would purchase a small kit that included a block of wood, 4 plastic wheels, and 4 nails (for axles.) They would then make a race car out of this kit. Everyone started their build with the same, exact components.

I would then think about dB Drag Racing. What if we had a kit that included a small amp and a couple of inexpensive subs. Competitors would then be free to build a system from this kit. I think it would be fun. We would need some simple rules to encourage participation.
Keep it Loud! Make me Proud!
[1396a0]
Quote 0 0
Brandon Rosser

I have always wondered if a "kit class" would be successful. When my son was younger he was in Cub Scouts. I was a "Cub Master". We would have an annual "Pine Wood Derby" competition. The scouts would purchase a small kit that included a block of wood, 4 plastic wheels, and 4 nails (for axles.) They would then make a race car out of this kit. Everyone started their build with the same, exact components.

I would then think about dB Drag Racing. What if we had a kit that included a small amp and a couple of inexpensive subs. Competitors would then be free to build a system from this kit. I think it would be fun. We would need some simple rules to encourage participation.

Its a good thought but you'd probably have to offer a few different comparable brands, some guys are so specific on the brands they run.  Either that or look into buying direct from alibaba, and having a dB DRA brand or subs and amps.  Wouldn't be terrible if you limited it to two 12s and a 1k watt amp
Quote 0 0
Wayne Harris
We don't want to be in the aftermarket audio resell business. But, we could find one (or more of our manufacturing partners) to put together a kit for use in this type of competition.
Keep it Loud! Make me Proud!
[1396a0]
Quote 0 0
Shedluv

The problem is... once a new competitor gets stomped by 20 dB they may not want to play in the future. 

I lost by exactly 20 dB in my first ever competition to the eventual world champion that year, Mike Garrens.

1999 was so long ago. 

Back on topic, I agree what others have said. As long as a class is offered at finals and you still become a dB Drag Champion, pros are going to try to compete in it one way or another.  To attract new competitors, you have to make the class undesirable for a seasoned pro to compete in.
Quote 0 0
DubaR
Shedluv wrote:

But what about vehicles that are largely the same over several model years. My truck is a 1998 model (which is 21 years old), but they made the exact same truck up until 2003. Should I have to go out and buy an identical truck to mine just because it is a few years newer? 

Really the airbag rule was just an easier way to say, "no Pandas/Marbellas, and no CRX's or pre 93 Civics"

Good point you dont have to sell ur 98 truck but my crx should be because it was old enough to not have airbags 🙂 no matter how you restrict a class it will have flaws in someone's eyes.
Quote 0 0
DubaR
Issue I see with a "kit" is every car needs different sized subs where one would like a 2 12's kit someone else could only do 1 12 in there car. This kinda of reminds me of the "$150 spl challenge" goal is spend $150 MSRP on sub/amps try to reach 150DB
Quote 0 0
THE-SCRAPER
 DBDRA is a league for the SPL "ELITE" ..............NO DBDRA CLASS IS BEGINNER or AMATEUR...... you want to attract not "new" competitors ..but "MORE" competitors...... create classes that are AFFORDABLE....... Street Stock 1k is a good start...
Quote 0 0
Contact Us | Legal Notices | Privacy